We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2022  (Read 2443 times)

MarcR

Re: Trillium 2022
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2022, 04:40:54 AM »
Herman and Claire,

You have inspired me to grow more Trilliums. I grow a few mostly for the foliage.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-+September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2022, 03:33:34 PM »
Herman and Claire,

You have inspired me to grow more Trilliums. I grow a few mostly for the foliage.
Marc, Trilliums are beautiful plants for shade. They do need sufficient moisture during the growing and flowering season.
They are actually far too little used in gardens.
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2022, 10:30:43 PM »
It is different each year. Here this was a bad year for snowdrops and hellebores, but a good one for Corydalis and also Trilliums, it seems.
It is exciting to see new seedlings flowering for the first time. :)
We have snails, too, but luckily there is not much damage in flowers, yet.

Nice Leena!
By the time they started here it got very dry so the Trilliums were not so happy this year. Yours are very good looking.
I also had a first flower in T. grandiflorum after 4 years, the clump will improve with age :)
The pink is beautiful, I cannot give an opinion on the species.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

MarcR

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2022, 01:30:18 AM »
Herman,

Many of the plants I grow tolorate or even appreciate out long dry Summers. However my small woodland [shade] garden gets year round water.  Sun lovers that need Summer water get drip irrigation.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F  -9.4C.  Rainfall 50"+  but none  June-+September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight.  soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus.  Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2022, 12:52:16 AM »
In nature, T. cuneatum naturally dies back quite early.  But given enough moisture, it will stay green and lovely for most of the season.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2022, 08:36:32 AM »
In nature, T. cuneatum naturally dies back quite early.  But given enough moisture, it will stay green and lovely for most of the season.
Rick, here it is the same. Last year there was enough rain and the leaves stayed fresh longer than this year. This year, the rain was too late, the damage is done.
That is sometimes the unfortunate thing about growing plants, you look forward for a year to see the flower and then dry weather causes disappointment.
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal