We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Onco Iris photo essay in IRG 146  (Read 594 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Onco Iris photo essay in IRG 146
« on: February 25, 2022, 07:59:43 PM »
This month in the Internatioanl Rock Gardener e-magazine,  we present a wonderful photo essay by Frédéric Depalle (Bulbissime on this Forum)  of one of his favourite subjects - Oncocyclus Irises.

Frédéric Depalle is a keen plantsman, a most accomplished photographer, both of plants and “land-based” subjects as well as another of his passions, underwater photography.  I believe even those of us unable to grow, or even source, these irises will be captivated by Fred’s photographs.

This month’s cover image is “Green seedpods of Iris lineolata  in Armenia” –  photo by Frédéric Depalle.

One of the many good Czech friends of the Scottish Rock Garden Club, is Zdeněk Řeháček  and he writes about the bright golden Viola aetolica. A little charmer of a plant that is not widely grown in the UK. Final article for IRG 146 is on “Growing Acantholimon “ from the Scot, Connor Smith who has already been in the Netherlands for over a year, in his post at the Utrecht University Botanic Garden.  Connor instituted the Scottish Rock Podcasts and it is hoped these will soon be able to return.

Download the International Rock Gardener - free - here:
 https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2022Feb241645737266IRG146.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
Re: Onco Iris photo essay in IRG 146
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 09:05:24 PM »
What a fabulous mouth watering photo assay. My congratulations to everyone involved. I've book marked it. I've yet to get myself involved in growing these. As usually happens, my first trials were a failure, but I do have those very, very, very dry cool summers where roots can be kept almost bone dry. i'm sure that I may have a thermal buildup issue to solve; I suspect that extra summer cover during the dry season will provide for them. My soil here in Patagonia is skeletal, lean sandy typical of deserts. I must my acts on and get seeds and start this journey. At least with my ancestral Armenian species... :)
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal