We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus viridiflorus bulb depth  (Read 567 times)

Jack Meatcher

Narcissus viridiflorus bulb depth
« on: October 12, 2022, 03:48:24 PM »
I seem to be able to germinate N.v. seeds but none have flowered so far. I potted up 6 bulbs this Summer and 4 have emerged. All look seedling like and none look to flower. I realise these bulbs may still be considered "immature". However, is there an optimum planting depth for N.v. bulbs so that they have every chance of flowering?
Thanks

Jack Meatcher
The Learner

Darren

Re: Narcissus viridiflorus bulb depth
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 05:35:57 PM »
Hello Jack.

Mine took a while from seed - about 4 or 5 years. A flowering size bulb is about the size of the end joint of my thumb, so not huge. I am not sure bulb depth is hugely important but they do seem to want a hot summer. So mine are planted quite shallow ( one bulb depth down) in a clay pot plunged in the greenhouse. They flower alternate years for me. The flowering bulbs do not usually produce leaves and therefore seem to want a year off afterwards to regain strength by just making leaves. This might be me underfeeding though. I also do not topdress pots and the sun on the dark surface of the compost might help encourage flowers. I don't know.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Jack Meatcher

Re: Narcissus viridiflorus bulb depth
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 09:18:31 AM »
Many thanks, Darren. 

That's very encouraging. It does seem that my bulbs aren't old enough. Also, I think I'll leave the N.v. pots on the cill of a south facing window next year. They obviously didn't get hot enough in the sun outside this year.
I'll certainly re-pot them next year making sure the bulbs are not too deep. Maybe, I'll also top dress the compost with ground up house coal instead of grit. That would absorb the heat of the sun. Just a thought.

Thanks again,
Jack
The Learner

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal