We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: O. anthropophora in bud  (Read 830 times)

NarWood

O. anthropophora in bud
« on: October 30, 2021, 03:44:43 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Ben, I’m a recent terrestrial orchid keeper having built a collection this year; prior to that I have a couple of vandas an a phalanopsis.

I’m based on the very edge of West Norfolk, just within the Fens. I started potting them up middle of July (those that are summer dormant, and that I had in my possession at that time) kept the pots outside but under cover and only watered by myself. Looking back I’m sure that will have been too early as looking back at some photos I had taken I already had growth by the end of August.

Growth has been good - that may not be a good thing - and I have discovered one of my O. anthropophora has developed a bud.

My question is, does it matter? Should I do anything? Will I loose the plant because it won’t form a new tuber?

The plants are now in a cheapo plastic greenhouse that can be heated with a fan heater, the orientation is south facing but not direct sun for a reasonable  part of the day the ophyrs and orchis species are sat in sand in a tray for moisture  regulation.

Thanks for looking.

https://flic.kr/p/2mFo12T

https://flic.kr/p/2mFiKE5
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:56:06 PM by NarWood »

Tristan_He

Re: O. anthropophora in bud
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 06:26:40 PM »
Hi Ben, I had the same thing happen to an Anacamptis papilio x morio hybrid a year or two ago. I pinched out the flower spike and this seemed to reset it to a more normal growth cycle. I have the plant still (it's not looking too well but I think this is due either to temperature shock this year or aphid attack last).

Agree that this is most likely due to watering too early as growth may be triggered by heavy rainfall. Keep it cool but frost free and hopefully it will be ok. Hope your plant makes it.

Regards, Tristan
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:48:12 PM by Tristan_He »

NarWood

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 07:19:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tristan,

I think I may have already read that on the forum at some point in the last couple of days. Shall I wait until the bud is a little more developed so I can get a cleaner trim? Did your hybrid flower again that year? I’m hoping it’ll be ok, don’t care if it doesn’t do anything other than grown more.

Yes I agree about Konstantina’s plants, I’ve been very impressed with them; I hope he changes his mind about trading next year due to eBay new payment policy.

Vinny 123

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 07:33:20 PM »
I risk things too, mostly with seed, but any plant material coming into the UK requires phytosanitary and if found without,things will get destroyed.
I have not checked, but I presume this seller does not provide paperwork, which with orchids, very often means CITES too.

NarWood

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 10:09:27 AM »
Yes you’re quite possibly right, it’s not something I’d given consideration too. I guess I’ve been lucky that everything made it through.

SteveC2

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 08:37:47 PM »
Basically you are illegally importing plants. Risky to be posting about it!
I wouldn’t even consider cutting the flower bud out. If it’s there it’s there. It will sit all winter. Don’t risk causing any infection.
It’s quite normal for plants imported into the UK to start growing earlier than normal, I’ve always wondered if it’s some kind of thermal shock.
Good luck with your plants. The tricky period is yet to come. Beware over watering when it gets cold.

NarWood

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 09:02:08 PM »
So it appears, I’ve edited the OP in response.

Are you saying the bud is unlikely to develop further in the  colder weather? Yes I imagine I’ll become at little obsessed with monitoring them over winter.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal