We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Help to Identify a late flowering primula.  (Read 1451 times)

Alastair108

Help to Identify a late flowering primula.
« on: July 05, 2020, 09:56:04 PM »
Hi.
Posted 05 July 2020
In a container of Primula veris, being kept for seed, I have a new flower. In July. Is this P elatior It's tall enough.
Is it common to have cowslips or oxlips flowering in July? The rest were past by the start of May.

First post with images. Hope I did it right.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Help to Identify a late flowering primula.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:02:37 PM »
Welcome Alastair.
I think your plant might be Primula florindae, Giant or Tibetan cowslip, which typically flowers in summer.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Alastair108

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
Thanks Ashley.
Now how on earth did that get in there, I wonder?  I did try some more unusual primulas last year, but as far as I was aware, none germinated.
Looks like a mislabel or a maybe a seed got dropped in the wrong tray.
I'll paw through my box of old packets tomorrow and see if that one is in there. Meanwhile, more seeds to collect.

I just googled P florindae. Apparently it is highly scented. I 'll have a sniff in the morning.
Thanks again.
A.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 02:29:11 PM »
Your nose  will be  delighted, Alastair.  One  of  my  favourite  primulas- comes  in various colours and all smell divine!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alastair108

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »
I had to get very close, but the flower does have a strong scent , supporting Ashley's identification.

I did order some primula seeds in April from Plant World Seeds, including P florindae variety "Ray's Ruby" - but that has red flowers, so it couldn't be that, even if they had germinated, which they haven't. (There's time yet...)

In any case, the rest of the cowslips in the planter were  planted out last autumn.

Maybe a passing bird?? It would take precision bombing. More probably a mislabelled seed I expect. Most welcome anyway. I'll definitely try collecting any seed.
A

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal