We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2019  (Read 42364 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Hepatica 2019
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2019, 12:10:04 AM »
I have enjoyed all the beautiful hepaticas shown in the forum. I specially love the double blue.
In Saskatoon H.transsilvanica performs better than nobilis.
Here are 3 pictures taken today in the garden.
1.Hepatica transsilvanica
2.Hepatica transsilvanica alba
3. Hepatica nobilis

They are incredible beautiful Kris! I don't understand how they are in flower though; is this early spring warmer in SK than in ON maybe?
The transsilvanica seedlings from your seeds are doing very well :) they didn't flowered but next year for sure. They started to grow in the garage together with some japonica seedlings in late February and I had to use LED lights but it's been a good experience.

Before the natives start flowering I should post few pictures from my mini-collection of japonica and nobilis - all started from seeds received from a kind forumist 3 years ago. I am very happy not just because they flower and are beautiful, but also because I know now it is possible to grow and flower them well. Some flowered inside my frost free garage and few that were left in the cold frames outdoors are flowering now.
The start:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:30:27 AM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

kris

« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2019, 04:09:37 AM »
Hi Gabriela Saskatoon is always colder than your province.
This year not many fluctuations.Spring started may be a week ago. These hepaticas are early. I have a few more still developing flower buds.
Unfortunately we can't grow H.japonica here. I am anxiously waiting for the Hepatica seeds I got from you to germinate..
I have a few H Americana and acutiloba but they are not out. Somehow the transsilvanica is very robust here.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2019, 12:15:36 AM »
Hi Gabriela Saskatoon is always colder than your province.
This year not many fluctuations.Spring started may be a week ago. These hepaticas are early. I have a few more still developing flower buds.
Unfortunately we can't grow H.japonica here. I am anxiously waiting for the Hepatica seeds I got from you to germinate..
I have a few H Americana and acutiloba but they are not out. Somehow the transsilvanica is very robust here.

Yes, that's what I knew Kris. Just that the transsilvanica made me think otherwise :)
The blue one with patterned leaves is a H. nobilis actually. It is nice to have one extra month of flowering Hepaticas! The LED lights are very efficient and economic, I highly recommend.

With patience the seeds will germinate. The H. acutiloba - pastel mix and the pure white are just starting to germinate outdoors and few other seeds samples I placed under lights are long germinated (not that I need more seedlings....).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2019, 06:51:54 AM »
Kris, your H.transsilvanica is wonderful.
Mine has never formed so tight clump, but it is also the first to flower here and spreads well.
Two H.japonicas which were flowering in my polytunnel. I'm going to plant these outside this week end now that the coldest nights seem to be over. These are so so pretty! Out my own seed grown H.japonicas are in bud and have survived outside now for four winters.
Also H.nobilis is already flowering in the warmest spots but in my woodland bed they are still in bud.
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »
Kris, your H.transsilvanica is wonderful.
Mine has never formed so tight clump, but it is also the first to flower here and spreads well.
Two H.japonicas which were flowering in my polytunnel. I'm going to plant these outside this week end now that the coldest nights seem to be over. These are so so pretty! Out my own seed grown H.japonicas are in bud and have survived outside now for four winters.
Also H.nobilis is already flowering in the warmest spots but in my woodland bed they are still in bud.

Super nice japonicas Leena!
Yes, I will most surely plant some of the seedlings in the ground. Growing from seeds gives us this great opportunity to try/keep the plants in different locations.
I also do this with other species when I'm not that sure what conditions they like.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

kris

« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2019, 08:54:00 PM »
very nice ones. pity I can't grow H.japonica here.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
comparatively warmer weather here and lots of plants are emerging from the ground.
Here are 4 Hepatica pictures taken two days ago
1.Hepatica Ellison spence
2. Hepatica nobilis pink
3.Hepatica nobilis white
4.Hepatica transsilvanica pink
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
Very nice Hepatica's Kris!
Here are some leaves from Hepatica asiatica.
Belgium

kris

« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2019, 02:42:35 AM »
beautiful shiny leaves Herman. Do they flower and what is the origin of this plant?
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2019, 08:14:54 AM »
Kris, Hepatica asiatica flower was in March. I have found the plant on a market in Belgium. John Massey (Ashwood nursery) says that it comes from the Provinces of Anhui, Henan, Liaoning, S.E. Shaanxi and Zhejiang. It has now survived one winter. We will see what happens in the future.
Belgium

kris

« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2019, 04:28:34 AM »
Thanks Herman
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2019, 08:24:09 AM »
Hepaticas really love your garden, Kris.
Herman, also I love H.asiatica leaves.

Some H. transsilvanica in my garden.
'Blue Eyes'
'Rosea'
And 'Alba' which I have grown from seed and this is the first time it flowers.

Leena

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2019, 08:25:07 AM »
A new raised bed I made for my H.japonicas.

kris

« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »
Very nice. We can't grow H.Japonica here.  :(
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2019, 06:52:54 AM »
Can anyone tell me what are differences in H.nobilis and H.americana (how they look)? 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal