We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: My woodland garden  (Read 5319 times)

Jacek

My woodland garden
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:55:04 PM »
As I have some time now and lots of pictures that are both new and old - I decided I can share some of them.

I moved into this house and garden in 2006 with my family. In the past this property belonged to my grandparents and I as a child I was learning gardening here. The garden is not big, below 1000 m2, partly woodland type, with several mature trees. As most of the garden is lawn - there is not so much space for gardening. I do not have anything special there, mostly commercial plants, but still the collection has grown considerably over the years and I enjoy regular visits of friends or neighbours who are doing guided sightseeing tours as compared to neighbourhood - my garden is really colorful, especially in the spring.

We concentrated on early spring flowers, rhododendrons and to some extent - roses. We do not have a rock garden but we have a slope (scarp??) round the house. I took a lot of inspiration from SRGC forum, which I have read regularly for years, from Ian's Bulb Log (probably I have read them all), but also other English language sources, like paghat.com (sadly inactive for many years now).

I will post past and current photos from time to time. Unfortunately, I am not good in photography.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

Re: My woodland garden
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:03:07 AM »
As we are having cold spell now, I will show a few pics from March 25th, 2009 - the spring. As we are in February now - we should not complain about the weather.

606272-0

And the crocuses trying to look at us.

606274-1

606276-2
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
At the very beginning we were still happy planting some garden centre annuals. Now it is no longer possible as all spots are overgrown by bulbs and perenials, including self-seeders.

Also at the beginning I planted all easily available crocuses, mixed or in groups and was happy with the result. Time and weather verified the idea - many have not survived longer or lost the competition with better growing plants.

606290-1

606292-2

606294-3

606296-4
Hobby woodland gardening

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
 8)

Jacek,

Your photography looks fine!  :)

If your photography is poor then mine is terrible.  ;D

I look forward to your garden diary.

It is botany/work day for me, so off I go.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
Lovely photos of your garden, Jacek. I  guess your little garden helper is much bigger  now!

We find it hard to keep Crocus long term in the garden - because of hungry mice!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jacek

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
8)
Your photography looks fine!  :)

Well, short distance/macro photos are much worse.

I  guess your little garden helper is much bigger  now!

We find it hard to keep Crocus long term in the garden - because of hungry mice!

True, Maggi - my youngest son is 12 years old now.

As to mice issue. The main problem here is winter frost, more than anything else. Sometimes also insufficient summer drought/heat. Mice and voles are certainly present here, I can see relatively big holes in the ground leading to underground corridors. No moles though, I managed to trap them all. While I am not sure what is living there inside, if it is herbivorous - I try to bait it/them. I use pieces of narrow (5 cm) tubes to make the bait invisible and put the tubes along fence, walls, etc - where the paths of mice may be present. I put some test toxic bait periodically all over the year. When I see it is eaten - I add more as long as it is untouched. I hope it prevents large scale damage. I only rarely find dead animals.
Hobby woodland gardening

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »
I like your terraces with Crocus and other plants and I look forward to seeing more from your garden Jacek.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Jacek

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 12:12:33 AM »
I am driven by the current cold weather and found old "cold" pictures ;)

"I'm well hidden" says The Blue of Iceland glaciers
606408-0

"I'm truly a Yellow Mammoth"
606410-1

"Snow is so heavy, but Etruscan boys can stand it"
606412-2

606414-3

"My situation is really sad" said the Purple Boy
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:15:18 AM by Jacek »
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:21:28 AM »
"Do I look well in this white cap?"
606416-0

"I want to fly and can not"
606418-1

"We, the Tommies, always ready to stand the weather"
606420-2
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 12:54:47 AM »
I  guess your little garden helper is much bigger  now!

My youngest "seedling" last summer.
606422-0

In the background you can see how my terraces and the rest of my garden evolved. No monochromatic groups any more. Lots of self-seeding plants. During vacation in Poland I found Campanula persicifolia growing wild in the forest. It was a dry, infertile pine forest. I thought it might be a good plant for me and brought one with me. And, oh yes, it is growing well, seeding everywhere, also outside the garden. Here you can see some.
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
Just a few more pictures form the initial phase of the garden.

The bulb bed below a larch. The larch is as old as I am.
606474-0

A smaller bed below Hydrangea panniculata which was over 40 years old then.  It has never been pruned and now looks like a large bonsai.
606476-1

At the very beginning we fell in love with crocuses. Initially we did what color newspapers say - planted them in the lawn. Next spring we understood it was a mistake - we need lawn for walking not for careful watching for crocuses. Soon they were all taken away.
606478-2

Tommies were completely new for me, but I read in some sources (including paghat.com - despite climate difference, they were my primary source of knowledge then), that they are called "wood crocuses" and tolerate woodland conditions.  I bought all the clones commercially available for me. With time they proved to be the only really successful crocuses here. They propagate so fast that any loss for any reason is regenerated. Very small corms produce flower. They are the only crocuses that set seeds reliably every year, although not too many.
606480-3

606482-4
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 12:16:23 AM »
Crocus tommasinianus is a true success story. I do not even remember cultivar names - they all are good. And quite colorful, even if all are purple (I do not have the white ones, I do not really like white colour). It is able to grow so dense, so the flowers cover the ground completely.
606526-0

I also like its leaves: they are low growing, much below the flowers, and forming an elegant "fountain". It is also reasonably hardy. During the disastrous 2012 winter (down to -30 C without snow) Tommies were thinned, but needed only 1 year to regenerate.
606528-1

This is probably the wild type. The flowers are not big, but I like the pastel shade of purple it provides. I also like the drumstick slender buds. Look how dense it is able to grow! And the proliferation power - this clump probably was formed from one tuber within a few years only. I know this clump is too dense. But I have so many Tommies that I don't bother.
606530-2

This is not a white Tommie! Again don't know the name, but this is the tallest and has the biggest flowers. Once I measured it - max 20 cm to the top of closed flower.
606532-3

The above Tommie is bicolour. The process of flower opening in the morning is like revealing of a mystery.
606534-4
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:18:09 AM by Jacek »
Hobby woodland gardening

kris

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 03:59:51 AM »
beautiful Jacek!!
I wish I have a warmer zone like yours to grow these gems
Kris
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Jacek

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 05:45:56 AM »
Kris, all is relative. For European standards we are regarded being a cold place on the map. What about C. vernus cvs, do they survive? Do you have reliable snow cover? - we don't.

I'm glad you like my garden. Yet I have ordinary plants only.
Hobby woodland gardening

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »
Thank you for showing your garden and plants. :) Also I like tommies very much, mostly because they are one of earliest crocus for me (flowering in April), and they do well here, although I have never gotten seeds from them. Maybe it is still too cold when they flower and there are no-one to pollinate them or for some other reason.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal