We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Weather  (Read 14758 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Winter Weather
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
Thanks. It is an odd weather pattern, and an unwelcome one. Beginning to snow here now, and the news says that local trains will not run tonight as a precaution. It only takes one snowflake for things to grind to a halt!

It takes only half a snowflake here! I'll be very surprised if we get any snow here apart from on Dartmoor we have only had one measureable quantity in the 30 odd years we have been here.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »
The weather here, too, is a bit odd, mainly that it is so late in the season. It was 23 F, -5 C, at the farm Sunday morning, another record for the date. This record was a bit extreme for the date. This morning it is raining in Sacramento. The first measurable precipitation for February. This is extremely unusual! The westerlies are still cut-off and the stormy weather is coming from the north. Not much moisture in this northerly flow, but it is better than nothing. The next storm on Wednesday will be in a much more westerly flow and much wetter. Currently we are at about 58% average precipitation to date. We need rain! and snow in the Sierra Nevada.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 04:39:10 PM »
- 15 C here last night. And not at the ground level. Some further cooling foreseen. The inflow will slowly change from NE to E-  this means cold here. Siberia gets closer.
.                 Hallo Jacek, I hope, the Siberian temperatures are over soon, we had now four nights under -10 grades C and sunny, but frosty day ! I am in Scotland to visit Castle Cambo and wish after comeback to Germany better weather! It is unbelivibl, how many energy the little snowdrops have, to stand up every day ,when the temperatures are over zero! Greetings Harald Alex
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

ian mcdonald

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 07:37:40 PM »
In the winter of 1946/47 ( a very cold and snowy winter) there were heavy snowfalls late into the winter. I remember my Mum telling me that snow was still on the ground at Easter. That year Easter Sunday was on April 6th. I was not found in my pram until the snow had gone. ;D There,s nothing new under the sun.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »
This was the last time we had plenty of snow here. 1-12-2010.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »
Snowing hard here right now.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Jacek

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 11:10:19 PM »
Last night -12 C and day max -10 C. The reason for lack of significant drop in night temp was the presence of thin layer of clouds that prevented radiation.

Robert gave us the link to 500 mb map - but being lay person in meteorology it is difficult to understand to me. I understand, it reflects the situation at the half of earth's atmosphere (by weight and pressure) - this is about 5500 m asl. This is certainly important, but we live in the bottom layer of 10-20 meters and our small plants - in the last 10 cm. The layer of coldest air may by quite thin and very local, created during long winter night. This is especially true in the lowlands and far from any warm sea, where nights are calm and mixing effect of wind disappears.

For me more interesting (and unknown) is why the engine of warm northern Atlantic has stopped. And - is there relation between advection of cold in Europe and in California.

According to the excellent Norwegian long term forecast this cold period should be finished at the end of this week. The Mediterranean engine is already switched on and I suppose it will spread slowly to our area. Probably no risk of truly severe frosts, but last night absolute minimum temp in Poland was -26 C, close to Lithuanian border. Weather is seemingly stable, but each night is different.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »
Last night temp min -18 C. The reason is obvious - it is the clear sky.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

GordonT

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »
It is mild and snowless here in Nova Scotia. My concern is that plants may start growing, only to get hammered by a return of freezing temperatures. Maple syrup producers in the province have already tapped their trees, perhaps the earliest start of the season in history. At 9:00 AM today the temperature outside is +4 C. The sky was clear last night, and remains so today. Our two ponds are ice-free. I suspect Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' will be the first to be in bloom.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Robert

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »

For me more interesting (and unknown) is why the engine of warm northern Atlantic has stopped. And - is there relation between advection of cold in Europe and in California.

Jacek,

Understanding the basics of 500 mb air circulation and the Jetstream will not only help you understand why local surface weather conditions are the way they are, but are essential for understanding how weather condition on one part of the globe may be influenced by conditions elsewhere. Having some basic understand of fluid dynamics (the atmosphere behaves much like a liquid), and the influence of ocean temperatures/circulation on the atmosphere will be helpful too. It does not hurt to know something about aerosols, solar radiation, Kelvin waves, etc. The ENSO and MJO certainly influence global weather patterns. Climatologists are still grappling with their understanding of these phenomenon and other aspects of global weather. It is a fascinating subject. I am certainly not a climatologist, however I have a keen interest in knowing what you find out on this subject.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
Yesterday we had a huge thunderstorm with 5 mm hail. The hail was small, however it persisted for a long time. The temperature dropped from 53 F to 39 F in less than 0.5 hours.

I did get some photographs from the garden before the storm, which I will share ASAP.

Now I have to go to work.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
We keep getting flurries of snow here then the sun comes out. Nothing settling yet.

angie

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
Same here Ian but they say it will be worse tomorrow for us in the North East. Just hibernating here with a  stock of chocolate  ;D

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ian mcdonald

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »
Good idea Angie. It,s addictive though.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
Aberdeen Rock Garden Club - group of SRGC - tonight's meeting has been cancelled because of the bad weather. Please tell any other members you know who the group may not have been able to contact.

Which is why Angie, Roma  ( our Speaker) - and I will all be cosy at our homes this evening and not trying to travel in the snow. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal