We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Weather  (Read 14765 times)

Harald-Alex.

Re: Winter Weather
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2018, 11:07:04 PM »
In defense of the North East of Scotland, it was  lovely  - yesterday!   Warm sunshine which opened all the bulbs - snowdrops, eranthis and crocus were looking  wonderful  -  in fact  Aberdeen city was  nearly the warmest place in the country -  then, just as we were all getting excited about Spring, the cold wind returned and there  has been a lot of icy wind blowing today.  While to go before  real Spring, I think!

Hallo Maggi, in fotos from Flickr-fotofriends I have seen flowering crocus in Aberdeen and can say, that there is the vegetation more developed as here in East-Germany!
I visited today the Crocus-churchyard Wildschütz and found in the garden of Mr Müller (the creator of the masses of crocus) a directly confrontation of wintersnow and a blue crocus areal, see foto.
I wish You a good Easter-time!
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2018, 07:01:43 AM »
We are expecting the 3rd wave of very cold air from east next week.

It is the same here, next week will be cold again, but today and tomorrow the temperatures are above freezing and weather feels like spring is coming and snow starting to melt. First migrating birds like whooping swans are already here. :)
Leena from south of Finland

ian mcdonald

« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »
It is mild here today. The whoopers photographed on the wildlife blog will be leaving soon for cooler areas.

Leena

« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
The whoopers photographed on the wildlife blog will be leaving soon for cooler areas.

My husband has posted to Facebook pictures and video of them (and otter) in the lake near us.  :)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
We lost about half of our snow pack during the wet subtropical weather event. On 21 March there was 65 cm of snow on Peavine Ridge, 5,126 feet (1,562 meters) with a liquid equivalent of > 10 inches (> 250 mm). On 23 March there was only 36 cm of snow with a liquid equivalent of 6.04 inches (153 mm). Currently it is snowing.

Warm spring weather is forecast for the coming week. The garden will break into bloom!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »
My husband has posted to Facebook pictures and video of them (and otter) in the lake near us.  :)
Wonderful video and photos from your husband , Leena - photographic skills are too the fore in your household, great talent!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2018, 03:25:34 PM »
Thank you Maggi.  :) As you see, it is still winter over here, but even when there is nothing growing yet, the migrating birds bring a feeling of spring.

Warm spring weather is forecast for the coming week. The garden will break into bloom!

That is so wonderful for you!

Robert

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »
Leena,

Yes, this is something my wife and I are looking forward to.  :) Up to this point the weather has been very odd and the garden has been a bit mixed up. We are hoping for a good display of flowers when the temperatures hit 75 F, 23.8 C by Thursday-Friday of this coming week.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2018, 02:47:05 PM »
For those interested in climate there are some interesting articles (and books) on the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO).

Even simple observations detected changes in the NAO. One example is from the late 16th century. A traveling missionary noted that mild winter conditions in Greenland coincided with severe weather conditions in Denmark.

The connection between the "Little Ice" and the NAO is quite fascinating too. And of coarse, all of this has a direct impact on the weather in Europe.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »
Although March officially is the first month of spring, at least here in Norway, March 2018 definitely has been a winter month!

610335-0

610337-1

610339-2

610341-3

610343-4
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »
Trond, it makes me feel cold just looking at your photos. Dull and wet here today.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »
Edwina  and  Robin Hill of  Belstone, Devon cooment with this photo that :

"March is going out the same way it came in #Belstone #Dartmoor  "  http://andrewscorner.garden

610369-0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2018, 09:45:35 AM »
Here right now comes more snow on top of the old one. You wouldn't think it is April from this picture taken today.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
Trond, it makes me feel cold just looking at your photos. Dull and wet here today.

You have to wear wool you know!

Back home today. A little more spring-ish.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
We had a Yellow Warning in force for heavy rain and possible flooding from 1500 yesterday (Saturday) until noon today. Doesn't seem to have caused all that much of either although it did add substantially to the porridge in my garden that passes for soil. I'm reliably informed that parts of West Yorkshire had around 3" of snow this morning. In March we had rain and/or snow for some parts (and often for all) of 26 days............................................... and I'm sick of it!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal