We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trochocarpa thymifolia  (Read 3012 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Re: Trochocarpa thymifolia
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 10:48:39 PM »
Have contacted Ian Christie, who despite not supplying Romas plant, has offered to send me some cuttings. Thanks to everyone for there contributions, especially Maggi for the photos.
I also grow Correa reflexa var. nummulariifolia another beautiful Australian shrub and wander what other Antipodean shrubs members are growing in our  UK climate?

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 05:42:51 AM »
I've still got my plant.  It flowers off and on most of the time.  It does not seem to have a regular flowering time.

Tasmanian mountains can have snow falls most months; alpines seem take what chances they can to flower. Lots of natives I've seen described as 'spring-flowering' by UK sources are less fixed in their habits down here. For an interesting alpine that seems quite well-adapted to my lowland garden near Hobart try Diselma archeri, which seems OK with warmer, drier, conditions that it gets in nature.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:44:26 AM by rob krejzl »
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
I also grow Correa reflexa var. nummulariifolia another beautiful Australian shrub and wander what other Antipodean shrubs members are growing in our  UK climate?

Callistemon citrinus did well for me outdoors in Suffolk. Clianthus puniceus is going mad against the front wall of my house here and attracted much favourable comment from neighbours this spring. One that I've loved and lost and want to try again is 'Brown Meg', Boronia megastigma.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 10:14:44 PM »
Boronia looks interesting Gail. There are a few I would like to try Rulingia being one of them, Bellendena as well but no idea if it is hardy or not.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »
I had to look both those up. The Bellendena looks pretty but I note "it is difficult to grow at low altitudes" which may be a problem here at 40m above sea level. (I know Norfolk isn't totally flat but it is certainly not alpine...)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal