Bulbs > Crocus

Aphids - How to Get Rid of Them

(1/7) > >>

art600:
Happy New Year to everyone

The warm weather has not been good for eliminating aphids.  On checking crocus in my cold frames I found a number covered with greenfly.

I know the answer is not to have aphids, but as I have them, is there a safe insecticide I can use?  Would a soap solution be better?

Appreciate your advice

Arthur

David Shaw:
Arthur, happy new year to you as well.
A couple of producers market what they label as an organic insecticide and these are available from most garden centers etc. This what we have used for the past few years with good effect. I am slightly sceptical of the 'organic' labelling as the product is designed to kill the little buggers, however we try to garden as organically as possible and have made the decission to go along with the story. Personally I never found a soap solution to to have much more effect than to spoil the taste of the sap ::).

art600:
David

As they work, could you please tell me the manufacturer or product name.

Arthur

Ian Y:
Arthur,
I have to admit that under glass and in the frames I will use a systemic insecticide, Provado is one of the few available. As I remember the active ingredients that are available to home gardeners are Imidichloprid and Bifenthryn.
I you only have a small number of crocus or narcissus then you can rub the green fly between finger and thumb and that is organic as you can get.
However there are always more lurking just below the surface so that is why I use a systemic.
In the open garden I let nature make the balance sometimes I assist with a jet of water to wash the bugs off .

art600:
Ian

Thank you for the info.

My finger and thumb worked well, but I, like you, suspect there are some still  lurking beneath the surface.

Will start with PROVADO tomorrow.

Arthur

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version