We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Muscari & relatives 2017  (Read 7905 times)

sokol

Re: Muscari & relatives 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
Nice Muscari for the autumn. I did not know that it exists and I have never heard or red about it.
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
Nice Muscari for the autumn. I did not know that it exists and I have never heard or red about it.

Thanks Stefan.
It is mentioned in Rod Leeds book Autumn Bulbs.
The history about it is in short form:

In the the 1950'es Ray Cobb received some Muscari aucheri bulbs from Ronald Ginns.
Some of them flowered in the autumn and these were selected by Ray and he named them Autumn Glory and distributed them under that name. I was so lucky to get 2 of these bulbs from Ray via a kind SRGC forum member.
Some years later  I contacted Ray Cobb directly, and got the story from him. He also send me some bulbs of another selection, which he named Winter Cheer. As the name indicates, these flower later than Autumn Glory, but before the regular aucheri.
Ray mentioned that they could be hybrids, but he was not sure.

Autumn Glory and Winter Cheer are both self fertile and I have seedlings of both, but I cannot say if they are autumn flowering too. The Autumn Glory seedlings flowered for the first time in this spring, but until now no autumn flowers has appeared.

Poul
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:08:54 PM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

sokol

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 06:36:08 AM »
Thanks Poul! Now I understand, why I haven't seen it in any bulb list.
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
Muscari armeniacum is flowering!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:00:34 AM by Yann »
North of France

brianw

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
I have some "grape hyacinths" in flower at present. Don't know what they are but nothing special, except I thought last year when I planted them they were a pale blue. This year they are much darker; the usual mid/dark blue. Another group I have are nowhere near flowering yet so can't check if I have the 2 groups confused.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal