We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Saxifraga 2017  (Read 25929 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Saxifraga 2017
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2017, 05:36:38 PM »
Last week, a received address from Gerrit, an ordinary plant nursery https://tinyurl.com/y7qxweea
Likewise, these saxifragas ordered.
I still have a nice shady place to plant them. As David says, so I'm going to try it.

Does anyone know of a nursery in the USA or Canada selling these Saxifragas?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »
Just done a Search on 'Duck Duck Go' which is weighted towards USA and found the following that might help a plant seeker to 'aim' a bit.

Wayside Gardens-South Carolina. Shows S. f. 'Sugar Plum Fairy' but out of stock.
Monrovia, California looks like a wholesale outfit. Showing 'Pink Elf' and 'Berry Bright' but might have others?
Sunny Border Nurseries again looks like a wholesale outfit. Berlin Connecticut. Shows 'Black Ruby' might be others?
Far Reaches Farm, Washington State I think, I'm not really up on State postal references site gave WA 98368. Shows 'Dwarf Form' and refers to selection being grown from seed.

In Canada:
NVK Connon Nurseries, again looks like a wholesale outfit. Dundas Ontario. Shows 'Cheap Confctions'
Phoenix Perennials, Richmond BC (British Columbia??) again looks like a wholesale outfit show a cultivar called 'Akibare', have a long list on their web site but I don't know stock position

All of the above should come up on G**gle.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »
Thank you David - I've passed on this link.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2017, 09:57:21 PM »
Does anyone know of a nursery in the USA or Canada selling these Saxifragas?

Maggi, this garden center also sends to England. If you may be looking for this.
Here the shipping costs in English language. https://tinyurl.com/y98g2cj5
But you have to order in Dutch.  https://tinyurl.com/y7qxweea
You are never to old to learn.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
Thanks, Jan.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »
Last week I was at the concrete and stone dump and found a wheelbarrow full of lava stones. I had some lava stones. Beautiful enough to make a corner in the shade for autumn saxifrage.
This afternoon, the sun was shining, so made two wheelbarrows soil mix and finished the job.

594762-0

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2017, 07:14:13 PM »
Looks good Jan.

Here's my Saxifraga fortunei 'Black Ruby'. Now I have counted them properly I still have two to flower, 'Cotton Crochet' which as Carolyn said is always very late, and 'Blackberry and Apple Pie' that looks as though it will be even later.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »
My last two for this year, Saxifraga fortunei 'Cotton Crochet' and S. f. 'Blackberry and Apple Pie'

595475-0

595477-1

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2017, 09:40:49 PM »
My last two for this year, Saxifraga fortunei 'Cotton Crochet' and S. f. 'Blackberry and Apple Pie'

Nice flowering plants so late in the year. With me they also bloom, fantastic. Thanks, David for sharing. :)

Arie.v

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2017, 02:41:22 PM »
Connon nurseries NVK has "Cheap confections" and "Wada", I purchased from them, and yes it is whole sale only.
I worked for them for 48 years until my retirement as their head propagator.
I have seen some also on the Fraser's Thimble Farms on Saltspring Island BC Canada
I will be ordering from them next spring.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:57:14 PM by Maggi Young »
The most important part of a garden is the one who enjoys it.
Arie Vanspronsen
Waterdown Ontario Canada

Arie.v

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
Cheap confections are listed here as fortunei, Jan has it listed as cortusifolia, what is up with that. Are they the same or mislabelled in North America?
The most important part of a garden is the one who enjoys it.
Arie Vanspronsen
Waterdown Ontario Canada

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
Cheap confections are listed here as fortunei, Jan has it listed as cortusifolia, what is up with that. Are they the same or mislabelled in North America?

Arie, I have searched for you and the names are used interchangeably. They are also used interchangeably on garden center websites.
That makes it a bit confusing. The names I mention are the names that I got on the card.
Cortusifolia is a synonym. see http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=Saxifraga+cortusifolia+%27Beni+Tsukasa%27+
So in my Dbase I am going to call them Fortunei, that seems to me the best.

I went outside to take a picture of the 'Beni Tsukasa' so beautiful dark red and still in bloom.

Here, for example, a site that calls him cortusifolia, confusing  https://www.staudenonline.de/saxifraga-cortusifolia-beni-tsukasa

596285-0

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »

Hello Arie, I think the naming possibly depends on the original source of the plants. For example Peters nursery in Germany label all their cultivars as S. cortusifolia whereas all the plants I have bought from UK nurseries have been labelled as S. fortunei.

http://shop.alpine-peters.de/saxifraga-herbststeinbrech-oktoberle/cortusifolia-flora-angebot.html

As far as Cheap Confections is concerned I have bought it as S. fortunei and it is the same plant Jan has.

Maybe someone else has another view?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »
Whoops, sorry Jan, didn't see your reply. But I think both of us think similarly.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »
Whoops, sorry Jan, didn't see your reply. But I think both of us think similarly.

That's OK, David.
It happens a lot that synonyms are used, or misspelled names. With new purchase, it is best to always check names.(I always do it, but that takes some time.)
Usually unintentionally, simply because they do not take the trouble.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal