We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 125434 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2016, 03:20:46 AM »
Ian,

I did not know this this thread existed and I am glad that I found it. What a fascinating place. Very  8)

I look forward to more.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2016, 03:25:25 PM »
A short history of the local patch may be of interest. After the last ice age an area of low lying land approximately 2000 square km. in size evolved into fen and bog. Remains from decaying plants accumulated to form peat of various depths. In the Middle Ages this peat started to be removed by hand for fuel. The area became a royal deer hunting chace in the middle ages, covering an area of about 270 square miles. In the mid 1600s a Dutchman named Cornelius Vermuyden drained much of the area and the land was divided between the King, Vermuyden and locals. Most of the area was turned over to agriculture. Attempts to Warp the remaining wetland were only partly successful, although the Eastern part of the local patch was warped. This area remained too wet for the growing of crops. Peat extraction continued for use as horse bedding. The removal of peat for horticulture was the next phase of destruction. This was carried out by hand by Dutch and English workers. Mechanised peat extraction began in 1963 and continued until the 1980s, when peat milling began. A campaign was started by a local Naturalist to preserve the moors in the 1950s. This campaign was both legally founded and physically backed. The campaign to save this Internationally important site gathered pace until the Government of the day bought out the mineral extraction permissions and peat removal ceased in 2004. The site is now classed as a Site of Special Scientific Interest,(the largest inland SSSI), a Special Protection Area for breeding Nightjars and a Special Area of Conservation for raised bog. It is the country,s largest area of lowland raised bog. Due to the human interference of the site in extracting peat there are abandoned narrow gauge railway tracks and many drainage ditches, creating a mosaic of habitats. This in turn provides a home to a very large range of wildlife. This year sees the third year of major management works to restore the area to a living bog. Scrub clearance of introduced Rhododendron and native birch as well as water management to reduce water run-off is taking place. It will be interesting to see which species of wildlife have survived the destruction of many years of human interference. Already, species of plants have been recorded, in cleared areas, which have not been seen for a long time.

Robert

« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2016, 04:23:42 PM »
Ian,

Thank you very much for the short history of this site. It is amazing how nature can repair itself when given a chance and some help on our part.

I look forward to your continued reports from this area and I am keen to learn more. Very  8)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2016, 07:57:35 PM »
Contractors removing Rhododendron with a mulcher img. 1020044. A peacock suns itself img. 1020057. Tansy still in flower img. 1020059. Fly agaric img. 102060. Water chickweed, Myosoton aquaticum img. 1020063.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2016, 08:10:08 PM »
An alien plant, Narrow leaved ragwort, Senecio inaequidens img. 1020066. One of the warping drains img. 1020068. A female marsh harrier fly past img. 1020069. Purple moor grass, Molinia caerulea, in Autumn colour img. 1020072. About 1000 Pink footed Geese dropped in img. 1020076.

Robert

« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2016, 04:21:39 AM »
Ian,

I joyed the photographs, especially the Peacock Butterfly.

I have been successful in attracting a few butterflies into our Sacramento garden. Mostly Fiery Skippers, however there have been a few others. Unfortunately I do not know their names yet. At least we have a good identification book at our public library that I can check out.

Our Sacramento home is located very close to the Sacramento River. I can easily ride my bicycle to the river and across a bridge to the Dick Fazio Wildlife Refuge. The refuge is located on the Yolo Bypass, part of the Sacramento River flood control system. Migratory water fowl visit this refuge every winter. I must go check it out. Thank you for the inspiration.

By the way, what is the elevation of your local wildlife patch? How far from the ocean?
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
Hello Robert, according to a satellite image the elevation varies between 3 feet and 20 feet above sea level. The site is about 40 miles from the North Sea. Some areas around the site are at sea level. This means that drainage water has to be pumped towards the sea by a series of electric pumps. In former times these pumps were powered by wind.

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »
Great to see these as a Blog Ian. keep up the good work ;D
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

ian mcdonald

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »
A large ancient oak in the heather img. 1020077. Common comfrey still in flower img. 1020080. Mature white willow, S. alba, in Carr woodland img. 1020083. Heathland in Autumn img. 1020084.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2016, 09:52:16 PM »
A witches broom on birch img. 1020085. Bramble leaves in autumn img. 1020086. Bracken shows its better colour img. 1020087.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
Among the birds seen or heard today were marsh harrier, hen harrier, peregrine, kestrel, buzzard, sparrow hawk, jays, redwings, fieldfares, water rail, pink foot and grey lag geese, shoveler, red deer and roe deer.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »
Among the birds seen or heard today were marsh harrier, hen harrier, peregrine, kestrel, buzzard, sparrow hawk, jays, redwings, fieldfares, water rail, pink foot and grey lag geese, shoveler, red deer and roe deer.
Quite the list! Who wouldn't be pleased to see all these?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2016, 04:46:56 PM »
Water rail img. 0565. Antitrichia curtipendula img. 3615. Neolithic trackway found by a colleague img. 007.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2016, 04:51:25 PM »
After the cessation of peatland destruction for the horticulture industry time was given to remove stockpiles, img. 0131. Going img. 0202. Gone img. 0204.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »
Two juvenile long eared owls having a rest img. srgc file. Spot the birdie, nightjar img. srgc file 1. Nightjar eggs in scrape, a separate "nest" from previous, which was not disturbed img. srgc file 2.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal