We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Wimborne Show 2016  (Read 1976 times)

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
AGS Wimborne Show 2016
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
For those who are interested, I have now added my photos of the AGS Summer South Show to their discussion forum here - http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/discussion/atshows/.  I hope the rest of you can close your eyes and forgive the link to the other place. 

Below is Rhodanthemum Tizi 'n' Test exhibited by Dot Sample from Parham Bungalow Plants.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: AGS Wimborne Show 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
Thank you Jon! Of course  there is no problem here with links  elsewhere- we are  serious about learning and sharing in the Forum.
The "Rocky Flower Show" seems to have gone well, with good entries for the photographic section - is that your view of the event?

It was great news to learn that Vic Aspland  was awarded his first Farrer Medal ( quite a shock to learn it was the first)  for a super plant of Daphne jasminea   8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:01:02 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:03:48 AM »
Enjoying your report immensely - may I use your photos of Diane's plant of Iris lineata JJA 590.625 to add to the Archibald Archive?

Martinr

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
There's a story behind the collection number on the Iris. Diane told me all about it but....well that was 4 days ago :P

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
It was great news to learn that Vic Aspland  was awarded his first Farrer Medal ( quite a shock to learn it was the first)  for a super plant of Daphne jasminea   8)
I was shocked that it wasn't for a Cyclamen!
 ;D
cheers
fermi
PS good report, Jon!
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
Enjoying your report immensely - may I use your photos of Diane's plant of Iris lineata JJA 590.625 to add to the Archibald Archive?

The story is that the seed was not originally collected by Jim, being a 6 digit number.  The seed actually came originally from SRGC seed   :o  which the Wallises grew on and passed seed to Jim who in turn grew it on, and hence the source of the seed on his list.

This is Jim's information about the plant:

590.625 : IRIS LINEATA (I. karategina) (Sect. Regelia) *  Tadjikistan. No further data. (Raised from seed received as I. stolonifera from material collected in Tadjikistan. Stoloniferous it certainly is but the rhizomes are smaller & thinner than I. stolonifera. The blue-bearded, darker segments of the flowers on 30cm. stems are more pointed & it floweras about a month earlier with us.  I. lineata was merged with the allied I. darwasica by Dykes but not by Brian Mathew. These species are obscure and all three may run into each other in the wild. Not too difficult but less vigorous than the clones of I. stolonifera we grow.

I have found it easier than other Regelias which I have, usually finding they need a warmer summer than I can give them  ;D.  This particular plant was completely overlooked and spent all winter outside in a pot, unprotected, not a regime I would have normally followed for Regelias and Oncos. It must have been OK as it flowered well, although typically for that group, the flowers typically lasted a couple of days before the next ones opened, not ideal for showing.

Here's a couple of pix I took on the day, struggling to sort out depth of field with a new mirrorless camera  ::)
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Hi Maggi
I'm glad you enjoyed the show, at least vicariously.  There were a lot of great plants, and a rather different selection from normal years, due to the season.  The local group photographic competition was a great innovation and provided a lot of interest for exhibitors and visitors. 

I don't think it would hurt for you to use those three pictures of the Iris - Diane's account had better go with it.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Thanks Jon.
I have no doubt that for those of us unable to visit the shows in person your reports and the others we enjoy in these pages are both great fun and an education too. That is something I know from my own experience and from the comments I  receive in person and via the SRGC site.
Only downside I can see is that we stay at homes have to arrange our own teas!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »
Thanks to Diane and Jon for their contribution to the Archibald Archive.  8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal