We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Council Compost  (Read 11453 times)

Graham Catlow

Council Compost
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »
I have access to a council recycling site less than a mile from home and am wondering what people think of the compost created by local councils. Sometimes it looks ok and other times I wouldn't touch it. The good thing is it is free but I would have to bag it myself and that isn't the easiest task and there would have to be many journeys.

On the other hand a company (Scotbark) deliver cubic meter bags of compost (PAS 100 certified) or composted bark for £70 per bag. This is quite expensive but looks better quality and would arrive at my home.

This would be for a large border that needs some bulk and will eventually contain rhododendrons and other ericaceous plants.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Bo'ness. Scotland

jomowi

Re: Council Compost
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »
Graham, I tried the Council's free compost the first year I came here as like yourself I missed the 'home grown' stuff and had inherited a garden which was seriously lacking in organic matter.  Never again - I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.  It is full of rubbish and in my case was sopping wet having lain in the open which meant I couldn't put too much in a bag because of the weight.  Luckily, I didn't import any pernicious weeds that had survived the composting process.  There is a lot of Equisetum in this area for instance.  Anything bought in is going to be expensive, but will at least get you started until you can get your own going.
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:09:06 AM »
Seventy pounds a bag! My God! How big is the bag? It would need to be the size of a ten tonne truck at that price.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:11:59 AM »
Seventy pounds a bag! My God! How big is the bag? It would need to be the size of a ten tonne truck at that price.

They're cubic metre bags, Lesley, what the building trade term tonne bags for delivering various types of aggregate.

Shrikes me as quite good value and would be grateful if they were available here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 03:50:42 PM by Chris Johnson »
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

angie

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
Delivery is what costs so much up here. I ordered some soil from our local recycling yard for a job my hubby was doing and when the lorry arrived at the job I told him just to take it back. He wasn't happy but then again I wasn't either. Their upfill is the same , blue gloves, glass and bits of plastic tops are all visible. Maybe other places are better but I wont be using my local recycling yard again.

Graham I have two compost bins full, shame I have a little boot in my car  ;) Hope to catch up with you soon and see your garden.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

rgc

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »
Hi
Stirling Council has free compost available from their recycling centre. You are allowed to fill two bags in each visit which you fill yourself. Have found it very good and much better than I could produce. Some people of course take unfair advantage. Recently, when I arrived to get some compost a man with a trailer stopped filling it up and made a quick getaway.

I assume that the Council achieve quite high temperatures and have not had any problem with it introducing any weeds into the garden. There is sometimes the odd piece of small plastic, but that is fairly unusual.

If it has been raining a lot recently then the compost can be sodden and so it is best to go after there has been no rain for a few days.
Bob
Bob, Stirling

monocotman

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
Hi,

here in sunny Cambridgeshire/Suffolk we are lucky that we can have the green compost for free from Donarbons.
We just have to go pick it up like you or pay for the transport, usually a 6 tonne truck.
This costs me about £100 for this quantity.
You just have to have somewhere big enough for it to be tipped.
I have had three loads over the years and quality depends on when it was composted.
By far the best time to get some is early autumn when the summer prunings from the leylandii hedges constitute the bulk of the compost.
This stuff is pretty good. It gets a lot more ropey if ordered in spring and the winter waste is what is used for compost.
It comes still hot and steaming from the site and is completely weed free.

Regards,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

angie

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
Maybe its worth me trying Aberdeen City Council to see if they do this. I have to keep an eye on my compost incase hubby pinches it for a landscaping job  ;D. Maggi do you know if they do this ? Hate their website.

Angie T.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
I remember that some years ago the Council's (not Dunedin, but where I lived before I moved here) compost caused some major problems for gardeners because it contained large numbers of used condoms. It was found they were incorporating treated sewage in the brew. Would probably have been OK but for the condoms! Not a good look among the snowdrops. :o
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »
Maybe its worth me trying Aberdeen City Council to see if they do this. I have to keep an eye on my compost in case hubby pinches it for a landscaping job  ;D. Maggi do you know if they do this ? Hate their website.

I don't know , Angie - I would think they do because they collect green waste - but I may remember having heard it all goes to somewhere in Aberdeenshire for composting . will ask Ian if he knows anything.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
I don't know , Angie - I would think they do because they collect green waste - but I may remember having heard it all goes to somewhere in Aberdeenshire for composting . will ask Ian if he knows anything.

Hi Maggi

Thanks, I will have a look on their website tonight and see if I can find a link.

Had to laugh at Lesley's comment  ;D

Angie T.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:01:06 PM »
Found a link on the Council site - all green waste is taken to New Deer, to be recycled by Keenan Recycling
"Food and garden waste

Food and garden waste is transported to New Deer in Aberdeenshire and processed by Keenan Recycling. The material is stored and processed in order to produce BSI accredited compost products which are used as fertiliser and soil. These are available for residents to purchase at New Deer.  "   

http://www.keenanrecycling.co.uk/   - but  I can't see what they charge - and it would mean a  trip to exotic New Deer to find out how  good the stuff is!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 07:28:16 PM »
Our wonderful Northumberland Council charge us £25 per bin for our garden waste. Then they compost it and want us to pay over £100 for a tonne dumpy bag or £3 for a puny 25litre prebagged one. No option of being able to go get my own!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ian mcdonald

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »
Hello Chris, can you compost your own? A shredder would be needed for the twiggy bits.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies,
It seems there is an issue with the quality from batch to batch which is what I have observed.
It appears some councils aim to get some money back for their efforts but my local recycling centre offer the compost for free and there isn't a limit on the amount you can take. I suspect that there may be a different regulation for people turning up with vans and trailers but for me with an estate car and a few bags there's no questioning.

In comparison to garden centre compost the Scotbark option is good value.

I have started my own composting but this will take some time and will have little effect on the amount I need.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal