Bulbs > Galanthus

Dryad Gold Group snowdrops update

<< < (24/24)

Maggi Young:
Article on Anne Wright and her snowdrops by Mary Keen published in Country Life magazine,   -
https://www.countrylife.co.uk/gardens/gardening-tips/where-art-meets-biology-how-anne-wright-has-bred-some-of-the-worlds-most-covetable-snowdrops-264088?fbclid=IwAR057ZFTmRIwot55U_lmtFAtNuPL1cVIik9DNv_csl3ks18m4H9Gz4XCppc

Tim Harberd:
Hi Maggi,
   Thanks for the link. I thought there was a pinned thread on this board where Anne demonstrated making snowdrop crosses. I followed her protocol for my early crosses, tho' I have now changed to collecting pollen on black plastic teaspoons and 'encouraging' the pollen out with an electric toothbrush!

Tim DH

annew:
That sounds like a spectator sport!
There is some new info on my new website, if you want to take a look.

annew:

--- Quote from: Diane Whitehead on February 04, 2020, 02:27:00 AM ---Anne,

You stated somewhere that you were releasing some snowdrops that took you nine years to develop.

Have you kept track of how many seeds you sowed to finally arrive at named ones?

Diane

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry I didn't reply to this, must have missed it.
An example, Dryad Blizzard came as a second generation seedling from seeds you sent me, Diane, of poculiform elewesiis in 2008 (7 seeds). In 2014 I recorded 5 clones, none poculiform,which I crossed together. 6 seeds were sown in 2013. I didn't record how many germinated, but one of them was the beautiful poculiform which I registered as Dryad Blizzard in 2022.

The Dryad Golds - sown in 2006, I didn't record how many seeds were sown either (it was a long time ago!) When they first flowered in 2010, there were about 20 clones, of which the first was registered in 2015, and the first sold in 2016.

hwscot:

--- Quote from: annew on January 16, 2024, 10:06:09 AM ---That sounds like a spectator sport!
There is some new info on my new website, if you want to take a look.

--- End quote ---

Some of us may possibly have been know to use other .. err .. vibrating items.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version