We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse  (Read 507242 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse
« Reply #1635 on: February 20, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
As an addition to Frazer's question last week I made some pictures of crates with forced tulip samples. These crates are shown to become judged for quality, true to name etc. and left in the Show Hall for several weeks.

tulip samples
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1636 on: February 20, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »
More tulips:

tulips
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1637 on: February 20, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »
Many more other entries this week.
We were shown some mutants of Iris Katherine Hodgkin and Sheila Ann Germaney

Iris Kath. Hodgkin mut
Iris Sheila Ann Germ. mut

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1638 on: February 20, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »
A new still unnamed Iris from McMurtrie

Iris ret. McM     

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1639 on: February 20, 2013, 07:14:07 PM »
A nice pot full Iris White Caucasus   
and the new Iris Scent Sational

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1640 on: February 20, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
And finally I choose two Narcissus cultivars:

Narcissus Stint
Narcissus Golden Reaal

ronm

« Reply #1641 on: February 20, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
We were shown some mutants of Iris Katherine Hodgkin and Sheila Ann Germaney

What do you think they mean by 'mutants' please Luit?? ???

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1642 on: February 20, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
Well Ron, as a Dutchman I am so used to say mutant, but here I should have written mutation

ronm

« Reply #1643 on: February 20, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »
Sorry Luit, I should have explained my query better.  :-[ What I meant to ask was.... do you think ( and the growers are representing as?) these 'mutations' appeared amongst the millions grown in the fields ( and then propagating true ?) , or have they perhaps arisen by other means?

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1644 on: February 20, 2013, 11:01:31 PM »
Sorry Luit, I should have explained my query better.  :-[ What I meant to ask was.... do you think ( and the growers are representing as?) these 'mutations' appeared amongst the millions grown in the fields ( and then propagating true ?)
Yes indeed.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #1645 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »
Sorry Luit, I should have explained my query better.  :-[ What I meant to ask was.... do you think ( and the growers are representing as?) these 'mutations' appeared amongst the millions grown in the fields ( and then propagating true ?) , or have they perhaps arisen by other means?

Mutations or, in other words, sports can be natural (appeared spontaniously amongst the millions grown in the field) and artificial (as a result of application of different scientific methods, radiation, stumilators, etc.)
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #1646 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:59 AM »
I must say I liked the Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin' and Iris 'Sheila Ann Germaney' developments but Alan's blue streak is a bridge to far for me. But what do I know, I even think White Caucasus is a very very pale blue!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1647 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:49 PM »
Despite the cold weather the Show Hall was filled with flowers this Monday.

Narcissus   
Tulipa

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1648 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:35 PM »
I also want to show here that there are shown here tulips as cutflowers which are judged for keeping quality after at least one week in the hall:

tulips qual. contest   

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1649 on: February 27, 2013, 10:17:55 PM »
There were lots of pots with good Narcissus. Here a few I pictured:

Narcissus Kaydee                         
Narcissus Maya Sun 
Narcissus Lapwing                   
Narcissus New Innovator

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal