We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse  (Read 507192 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse
« Reply #1410 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »
Many thanks Luit. I love the iris sibirica and a lovely clump of it in your garden. Bet Lesley likes the tulip seedling :P :-X
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1411 on: May 23, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »

Are these entries for cut flowers?

Uli, as far as I know only the here shown A. Purple Caila and A. Globemaster are normal cut flowers here at the auctions.
You as Allium lover, will know how difficult it would be to show Alliums as potted plants, therefore they are shown in vases.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1412 on: May 23, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »
Many thanks Luit. I love the iris sibirica and a lovely clump of it in your garden. Bet Lesley likes the tulip seedling :P :-X
David, you seem to know Lesley very well, knowing so much about her likes.
Wonder what Maureen would say when she reads your lines  :P :-X
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Onion

« Reply #1413 on: May 23, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
I ask, because I read a article, about a american bulbnursery. They produce cut flowers from some of the drumstick alliums. And sometimes I see some as cut flowers in the florist shops.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1414 on: May 23, 2012, 09:46:05 PM »
Luit - your photos are so good that we don't have to enlarge the image to enjoy the flowers!   I'm worried that you are going to lose heart when you look at the viewing figures, but these are completely misrepresentative of the actual numbers enjoying your posts.
Many thanks once again.
Dear Mr Buttercup, sometimes you can over-do with your always so nice comments, you know  :-[ :-[ :-[
Nevertheless THANK YOU! 8)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1415 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »
I ask, because I read a article, about a american bulbnursery. They produce cut flowers from some of the drumstick alliums. And sometimes I see some as cut flowers in the florist shops.
The other Allium for cutflower production are later. You would probably wonder how many every year are produced  :)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #1416 on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:16 PM »
Dear Mr Buttercup, sometimes you can over-do with your always so nice comments, you know  :-[ :-[ :-[
Nevertheless THANK YOU! 8)

I take it all back ... very nicely!  LOL.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1417 on: May 23, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »
Luit, I think Maureen has David pretty well marked, so far as his "other" ladies are concerned. He knows well on which side his bread is buttered. ;D

Some wonderful alliums there and yes, the tulipa  really made my day. :o

And thanks for the double Narcissus, one I really DO like. Yes, I could just about smell the perfume, in the close-up shot. Perhaps someone can set me right here but as I read somewhere once, and my mother certainly understood that this late-flowering double white is not known in the wild as a species or double form of a species but is known to grow "naturalized" in the Orkney Islands. Is this right or is it a load of old co rubbish?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #1418 on: May 23, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »
I don't know, but it's now on my list of things to get!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1419 on: May 24, 2012, 01:17:08 AM »
I endorse David's comments about that Iris sibirica selection - very elegant.
I was prepared NOT to like the tulip from the description but the bunch of flowers is mesmerizing - it's quite bizarre and will certainly have a future in the trade.
I'm also so impressed by those alliums but am amused to see A. triquetrum as a cutflower as it's one of the worse weeds in this part of Australia! If anyone wants a few thousand of them please contact me! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1420 on: May 24, 2012, 10:52:57 PM »

I was prepared NOT to like the tulip from the description but the bunch of flowers is mesmerizing - it's quite bizarre and will certainly have a future in the trade.

cheers
fermi
I must agree with you Fermi, the first thing that came into my mind when seeing these tulips was: I thought I have seen everything, but the colour was so bright that I had to take a closer look. So it will probably become a good seller for a special public.

The Allium triquetrum was not shown as special cutflower, of course. But is probaly the only way to show some flowers of this plant to complete the Allium sortiment at the show.

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #1421 on: May 28, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »
Luit

Thanks for the pictures - always a show with interest.

I notice that the tulip has a four lobed stigma and in my (albeit limited) experience means that it is highly variable. It is interesting to note how many parrot tulips for instance have four lobed stigma. There is also a high incidence of 7+ stamens with four lobed stigma. Certainly not an exhibition plant but perhaps a garden novelty?

Frazer
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:37:00 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1422 on: May 29, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
Frazer, with new raised tulips it is possible that a new hybrid after some propagation all plants look the same but it often show some physiological disorder and need more years to sort these out.
By the way the flowers were today still in the hall and I looked at most flowers which all had 6 stamens, but not more.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1423 on: May 30, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
This monday there were more Allium but also a lot of other flowers.
Let's start with Allium protensum. On the 2nd. picture is shown how strong the stem is to carry such huge flower:

Allium protensum 1                                 
Allium protensum 2                 

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1424 on: May 30, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »
some more Allium:
Allium roseum                                       
Allium schoenophrasum Silver Chimes                   
Allium     

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal