We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 221424 times)

Roma

Re: wildlife
« Reply #1500 on: September 07, 2020, 08:18:17 PM »
Any ideas on this insect.  Looks like a wood wasp but smaller and doesn't seem to have any yellow on the body. I think the appendage at the rear is an ovipositor not a sting but did not pick it up to find out ;D

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:08:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #1501 on: September 07, 2020, 08:33:02 PM »
I'm seeing lots of Peacock butterflies in the ponies' field just now. There are a few large patches of Devil's bit scabious (Succisa pratensis) which they love.  I counted 17 Peacocks and one Small tortoiseshell this afternoon.I see an occasional Red Admiral too.

Peacock

Small tortoiseshell

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1502 on: September 08, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »
Roma, it could be a sawfly.

Tristan_He

« Reply #1503 on: September 10, 2020, 08:11:18 AM »
Any ideas on this insect.  Looks like a wood wasp but smaller and doesn't seem to have any yellow on the body. I think the appendage at the rear is an ovipositor not a sting but did not pick it up to find out ;D

Hi Roma, it's an ichneumon (you can tell from the narrow waist). There is a good guide here:
Guide to British Ichneumons.

Pimpla rufipes seems to match fairly well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 08:13:41 AM by Tristan_He »

Roma

« Reply #1504 on: September 10, 2020, 11:08:03 AM »
Thanks Tristan.  That does look like it.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1505 on: September 15, 2020, 02:11:27 PM »
We're disappointed with the amount of grass sprouting in the gravel driveway so we've had some locals in to clean up some of the excess seed.

Neochmia temporalis

Red browed finch (AKA red bums)

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1506 on: September 15, 2020, 06:55:26 PM »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Does look waspy.. we have many species of the tiny predatory sorts here, I haven't even tried to sort them out.. most also pollinate flowers at times.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1507 on: September 15, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »
We're disappointed with the amount of grass sprouting in the gravel driveway so we've had some locals in to clean up some of the excess seed.
(Attachment Link)
Neochmia temporalis
(Attachment Link)
Red browed finch (AKA red bums)
(Attachment Link)
cheers
fermi

That's a cute one!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1508 on: September 15, 2020, 07:01:05 PM »
Lucily no venomous spiders or scorpions in my area! Watched 72 Dangerous Animals- they have versions for various countries/regions, often rather over dramatised, but the one for Australia seemed especially worrisome...lol

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1509 on: September 15, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
Pheasants just outside the kitchen window today, between Showers.
(Attachment Link) 2 young on the left, female adults on the right
(Attachment Link) young.
The only remaining young from this years nest(s). 2 or 3 nests in 3 adjacent gardens, reduced by the local Red Kytes, Buzzards, Sparrow Hawks, or Foxes. A typical nest here has ~12 eggs, so not a good survival rate. The most we saw at any one time was 11 chicks.

hard to see them disappear as young, but I guess one would be overrun, otherwise.. same here for all small creatures- grouse, hares, squirrels-- all seem to maintain more or less stable populations , no doubt thanks to predators (hares are supposed to have natural fluctuations, but we are never overrun).

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #1510 on: September 16, 2020, 07:56:46 AM »
I was alerted to the presence of the yellow tailed Black Cockatoos (Calyptorhynchus funereus) by their screeches from the top of the pine tree at the bottom of our garden.
At first two, then three then at least 5. Then as quickly as they arrived they were off.
Their powerful beaks have evolved to tear open banksia pods to get at the seeds so the cones of the Monterey Pine are no match. http://birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/Yellow-tailed-Black-Cockatoo
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

brianw

« Reply #1511 on: September 16, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
I have to live with Green necked Parakeets at times but the thought of a bird getting into the Banksia nut I have on the shelf takes some thought. Approx. 10" long by 3" diameter. Can I assume they attack them before they take on the properties of hardwood; i.e. the wood-turning stage?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #1512 on: September 16, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
Hi Brian,
I think they could chew through concrete!
Those beaks are pretty fierce. They would have to wait till the seeds are ripe so the exterior of the cone would have hardened considerably,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1513 on: September 17, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
Hi Brian,
I think they could chew through concrete!
Those beaks are pretty fierce. They would have to wait till the seeds are ripe so the exterior of the cone would have hardened considerably,
cheers
fermi

that's some serious beak power :) the most anything has to manage here is spruce cones, which you could break apart easily in your hands, and most of the seed just falls out, anyway.. the squirrels toss them down while they are green and closed so they don't lose the seed!

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #1514 on: September 23, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »
It seems wasps have a special fondness for ivy!

Gerd

673875-0
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:07:07 PM by Maggi Young »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal