We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus x hybridus search  (Read 2164 times)

Roberto Gamoletti

Helleborus x hybridus search
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:03:20 AM »
Dear Friends
In the recent years I have been trying without success to obtain hellebores from Ashwood Nursery. So I am asking your help in this forum: is there anyone among you who is planning to visit Ashwood in the coming weeks and could buy a few plants for me? The next step would be to send the plants to Italy in a small box. Further details to follow.
Thank you very much.
Roberto
Roberto Gamoletti from northern Italy

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Helleborus x hybridus search
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »
Dear Friends
In the recent years I have been trying without success to obtain hellebores from Ashwood Nursery. So I am asking your help in this forum: is there anyone among you who is planning to visit Ashwood in the coming weeks and could buy a few plants for me? The next step would be to send the plants to Italy in a small box. Further details to follow.
Thank you very much.
Roberto

I live very near Ashwood so I might be able to help.  Can you say a bit more about what you want?  Can you also tell us on the forum a bit more about you and your interests?
Diane
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »
Roberto, this is going to work out very expensive for you.  These are expensive plants and quite heavy. Take a look at their prices here:

http://www.ashwood-nurseries.co.uk/images/stories/mailorder/2008/mailorder_2008_hellebore_ashwood_garden_hybrids_large_plants.pdf

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Roberto Gamoletti

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »
Dear Diane
Thank you very much for reply.  I garden in north Italy and have particular interest in hellebores and peonies. I started growing hellebores about ten years ago when they were nearly unknown perennials in Italy and I obtained my first plants from UK nurseries. I have several wild species growing in the garden their source being Phedar Nursery and with time I  became a friend of Will McLewin.
I have planted helleborus x hybridus in different spots in my garden and they are really rewarding plants. Each year I try to add a few new plants to my collection and when I saw the images of Ashwood hybrids I was astonished by their beauty. Unfortunately they do not accept mail orders. I am in search of semidoubles and doubles with heavy spotting, picotee edges, petaloids with contrasting colours.
Last year for the first time I tried to make a few controlled hellebore hybridizations using Violetta and other picotee hybrids both as pod and pollen parents and I have obtained a few good seeds.
A couple of years ago I wrote a brief article with my experience with hellebores for the Journal of the Hardy Plant Society.
I will send some photos of my plants to the Forum as soon as they will flower.
Roberto

Roberto Gamoletti from northern Italy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal