We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus crossing  (Read 65115 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Crocus crossing
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2023, 10:53:50 AM »
Guff, your crocus bed is very lovely!

Do you get seed on your other Crocus Leena? C. tommasinianus generally seeds prolifically in gardens here, but then you have a slightly colder climate than us!  ;)

Tristan, I have never gotten seeds from C.tommasinianus. :( For a longer time I have had 'Whitewell Purple' and 'Barr's Purple' (and I can't see any difference in them, maybe I don't have the right cultivars), 'Roseus' and 'Ruby Giant'. Can it be that these cultivars are sterile? Last autumn I planted several different cultivars of C.tommasinianus from Augis bulbs, and I hope some of them will be fertile. I also have seedlings from white C.tommasinianus (germinated this winter), and they should be fertile, when they grow up. :)

It may be that our springs are too cold, and I have only once gotten seeds from my C.heuffelianus, and once two seeds from C.sieberi 'George', though I have also other C.sieberi.

This Crocus heuffelianus was sown from Vlastimil Pilous seeds 2019, and it flowered now for the first time in my polytunnel (last night was -17 outside and -12 in my polytunnel so I think that was too much for the flowers). It is very beautiful, and darker than any of my other C.heuffelianus growing outside.

Leena from south of Finland

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2023, 09:15:58 PM »
Wildlife

Another heuffelianus type hybrid.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2023, 06:37:49 PM »
Heuffelianus type hybrids

Jeffnz

« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2023, 02:42:12 AM »
Like the cup shaped bloom structure along with rounded petals, sorry if this is not the correct term.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #214 on: April 04, 2023, 09:48:57 PM »
This is probably the last of the Heuffelianus type hybrids on my grass bank, deer have eaten most of the flowers. Between the weather and deer, it wasn't good year. Never seen coum flowers being eaten, but they did last night.

Pictures are of the same plant.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2023, 06:50:06 PM »
Two more Heuffelianus type hybrids, last for this year.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2023, 06:04:16 PM »
One last section for my grass bank, and I'm done. Next years crocus seed will all go in my lower woods for a mixed Meadow of Spring flowers.

May have over done it with the crocus seed, but I didn't feel like digging anymore at the time.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 06:07:25 PM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2023, 01:37:24 AM »
Started on the last section. Planted around 250 so far. Will work at it alittle at a time. Steep angle of the bank is a killer on my back and legs.....

Probably won't have enough to go all the way to the bottom, will plant crocus seed that was collected.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2023, 02:26:39 AM »
Forgot to post this picture of the Daffodils that were planted at the top of my small bank. There was alot more of the mini's flowers, most were spent when this picture was taken. Can't wait to see what it looks like Spring 2024.

Jeffnz

« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2023, 03:46:43 AM »
Mass planting is the only way to go.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2023, 07:09:38 PM »
It was starting to look so good with the warm Spring weather. Between the Deer and return to Winter, it wasn't a good year for Crocus. Need to put up Deer netting, so I can finally see masses of flowers. Only videos that were made, will try again Spring 2024

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2023, 07:46:59 PM »
amazing, what a patch of colors.
North of France

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2024, 09:16:37 PM »
Grass bank is coming alive with flowers.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2024, 05:02:58 PM »
These two are probably Carpathian Wonder seedlings. Really need to dig up any unique seedlings on my grass bank and plant in a new bed. Every year, they are tagged, but never get around to digging them up.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 05:04:50 PM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2024, 08:51:51 PM »
Some I missed, when I redid my special bed.

Michaels Purple
Tommasinianus Pictus
Wildlife

Another picture of my Carpathian Wonder or Uklin Strain seedling.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal