We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tulipa 2014  (Read 34113 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Tulipa 2014
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »
A new Tulip year! Cheating a bit, as this is not a tulip according to the latest research. Looks like we will have to get used to calling it Amana edulis again, acording to Christenhusz et al, 2013: they say that Amana, Erythronium and Tulipa form a closely related group and Amana is distinct from Tulipa.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Tulipa 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
Don't bother changing the labels Ralph, lovely little thing.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:01:05 PM »
I really wonder sometimes about the relationships botanists say exist between this and that species. Tony Hall says Iris verna is related to I. pallida!!! I suppose the future employment prospects for botanists/taxonomists is well ensured. :-X

I thought the Amana was terribly difficult but a couple of bulbs given to me by the generous Betty Clark, just two years ago, have flowered and grown on so well that the pot is packed with them now.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 06:27:32 PM »
Just to let you know that Christenhusz et al have published Tiptoe through the tulips - cultural history, molecular phylogenetics and classification of Tulips (Liliaceae) in the Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 2013, Issue 172 pgs 280-328.

I have it on good authority that it is an excellent reference document.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:46:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »
As yet I cannot find a free access to this paper  but it is online here if you have access  and the abstract is open http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/boj.12061/abstract
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
Just to let you know that Christenhusz et al have published Tiptoe through the tulips - cultural history, molecular phylogenetics and classification of Tulips (Liliaceae) in the Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 2013, Issue 172 pgs 280-328.

I have it on good authority that it is an excellent reference document.

£37.55 to download the full paper!

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:53:47 PM »
I was in RHS Lindley library yesterday and read the article (which I could have photocopied for £4). It is a good article however a synopsis of it is presented, by the same authors, within the latest monograph from Kew (Tulipa available on Amazon for £40). The book contains illustrated details of all recognised species - and is definitely a book that I'll be getting for my own library.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:04:42 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »
Tulips emerging in the tunnel.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
I received the book The Genus Tulipa: tulips of the world' by Diana Everett last week and have subsequently devoured the contents.
(£41 Amazon)

Chapter 1 presents an extremely succinct history of the appeal of the flower and its subsequent movement across Europe as well as discussing the previous classification of the genus.  In fact, it is so succinct that it is only two pages - for more detail see papers by van Raamsdonk and Zonneveld.

Chapter 2 is a highly personal account of the author's search for tulips in the wild. It covers just 18 pages and is simply written.

Chapter 3 by Richard Wilford, is an eight page distillation of the cultivation of tulips in the garden and under glass. He writes well and says what needs to be said - more detail can be found in his 2006 work.

Chapter 4 by Fay and Christenhusz is a synopsis of their paper which is discussed in earlier Forum postings. I'm glad publication was held back to include their findings. Thankfully they have eschewed the notion of not going beyond subgenera into sections - it's complicated enough with tulips!

Chapter 5 constitutes the bulk of the book and contains the taxonomic treatment of each species (and all those tricky neo-tulips). An illustration and often a photograph (in habitat) accompanies each species. The descriptions are terse but sufficient for purposes and give details of distribution. The paintings are of variable quality - but who am I to judge when I can't even paint a living room wall properly!. I did think that some of the paintings lack the luminosity of the actual plants, but appreciate that this is terribly difficult to achieve. Having the bulb (in tunic), the tepals and stamens presented is, however, very helpful. 

There is an extensive bibliography (hurrah!).

The appendices contain an alphabetical checklist of species (with synonyms) and a summary of Zonneveld's 2009 work on sectional classification for those masochists who enjoy breaking subgenera down into minute units. Appendix 3 contains details of nurseries with a heavy emphasis on UK stockists (it includes an incorrect address for Miniature Bulbs which was purchased by Frankie Charlton of Choice Bulbs in early 2013 and moved to the north east of England but that aside they all seem to be there. It would have been good to have had more of the Baltic nurseries represented). Appendix 4 provides biographical notes (some of only one line) on prominent authors, collectors and growers.

How do I rate the monograph? Well, I do admire the dedication of Diane Everett in producing the work which I'm sure will prove to be an important reference for quite some time to come. We've been asking for it and I take my hat/cap off to her. I do wish some of paintings of white and yellow flowering species had more vivacity but, that aside, I do heartily recommend the book and thank the author for her trouble and time - it was worth it and much appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:40:37 AM by FrazerHenderson »

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Tulipa (Amana) edulis
A bit of a floral understatement but it has quiet charm and the virtue of flowering early when there is little competition.
Sadly the light levels were poor and so it needed a spell on the kitchen table before the flowers would open. This species is no stranger to kitchen tables and is sometimes known as the Edible Tulip (hence the Latin epithet).

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »
Superb pictures. Mine have been firmly closed outdoors for the past month. Will have to try the kitchen table trick!

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 11:01:40 PM »
Fine pictures Steve.
This year I postponed first watering to mid-January (!), to delay emergence until light levels are better. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »
First proper tulip of the year waiting to open outdoors (mine are all outside but with some cover from the incessant rain). Tulipa binutans, just need some sunshine now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:25:39 PM by johnralphcarpenter »

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »
Another day, another storm. But before it arrived there was a brief period of sunshine. The nodding habit of Tulipa binutans is reminiscent of Erythronium.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:25:55 PM by johnralphcarpenter »

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
With our dismal weather, I had to resort to artificial light in the polytunnel to get these indifferent photographs: Amana edulis and Tulipa binutans.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:26:08 PM by johnralphcarpenter »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal