We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2013  (Read 71940 times)

Hendrik Van Bogaert

Re: Paeonia 2013
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
After a long, long winter, here in my Belgium garden the first paeony:
P. coriacea ssp. maroccana, grown from Archibald seeds.
Herewith the original text from his catalogue:
PAEONIA CORIACEA var. MAROCCANA (P.c. var. atlantica): Morocco. No further data. Ex a M. Salmon coll. A spectacular feature of the cedar-forest of the Middle Atlas mountains. Smooth foliage & large rose-pink flowers. Not always easy outside in the UK. Absolutely temperature hardy but seems to miss the cold winters & warm, dry summers.
Origin: 746.409 – JJA SEEDS 2008

Indeed, absolutely hardy, but during summer protected by glasses against to much rain (bulb frame cultivation).
Enjoy!
Hendrik

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
Beautiful paeony - well worth the effort to give protection against summer wet  ( a problem we know too well here in Aberdeen!

I will copy your photo to the Archibald archive section  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
Great mature plant Hendrik all the features of true P. coriacea....you are a fantastic grower!...and yes with approx. 2 weeks delay compared to a "normal" season.

My plant is also from Morocco but apparently is should be called Paeonia coriacea only...without any subspecies specification. I know that you copied the name given by the Archibalds (the Ueber Gurus!)...but it seems that "ssp. maroccana" is redundant as the plants in Spain are the same as the plants in Morocco. It also seems that "ssp. atlantica" (as in Stern "Study of the Genus Paeonia" 1946) is actually wrong for the Moroccan plants as Stern was describing under this name the plants growing in Algeria with leaflets bigger than the Spanish & Moroccan plants and pubescent underneath (main difference!). Stern' s Paeonia coriacea ssp. atlantica has now a species status that is Paeonia algerensis.
Swiss Lukas posted on this forum very interesting pics of it in 2011. His plant is a division from the peony garden at Waedenswil Hochschule...no idea where they got the seeds from...do you know anything about it Lukas?
...sorry Maggi...how do I copy a link of a single post?
Paeonia 2011 topic:
March 27, 2011   http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg194278#msg194278
April 20, 2011    http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg198231#msg198231
April 21, 2011    http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg198366#msg198366

M.

Edit by maggi : I have added the links to the individual posts mentioned above.
Two ways to do this: ONE-  right click on the subject line above the desired post  to copy link location to paste in your post  or TWO  left click on the subject line  and then copy the url from the address line in your browser......

Example: OE:
 Re: Paeonia 2011 Right click here to copy link location to paste in your post
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »

OR TWO:

Re: Paeonia 2011 - Left click here to see link in browser address bar

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg198366#msg198366
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:58:15 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
Hi Matt, see the edits I have made to your post above......  :)

astragalus

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:04 PM »
Paeonia mlokowitschii is starting.  This peony is beautiful at all times, even when the foliage is just developing.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »
Great mature plant Hendrik all the features of true P. coriacea....you are a fantastic grower!...and yes with approx. 2 weeks delay compared to a "normal" season.

My plant is also from Morocco but apparently is should be called Paeonia coriacea only...without any subspecies specification. I know that you copied the name given by the Archibalds (the Ueber Gurus!)...but it seems that "ssp. maroccana" is redundant as the plants in Spain are the same as the plants in Morocco. It also seems that "ssp. atlantica" (as in Stern "Study of the Genus Paeonia" 1946) is actually wrong for the Moroccan plants as Stern was describing under this name the plants growing in Algeria with leaflets bigger than the Spanish & Moroccan plants and pubescent underneath (main difference!). Stern' s Paeonia coriacea ssp. atlantica has now a species status that is Paeonia algerensis.
Swiss Lukas posted on this forum very interesting pics of it in 2011. His plant is a division from the peony garden at Waedenswil Hochschule...no idea where they got the seeds from...do you know anything about it Lukas?
...sorry Maggi...how do I copy a link of a single post?
Paeonia 2011 topic:
March 27, 2011   http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg194278#msg194278
April 20, 2011    http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg198231#msg198231
April 21, 2011    http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg198366#msg198366

M.

Edit by maggi : I have added the links to the individual posts mentioned above.
Two ways to do this: ONE-  right click on the subject line above the desired post  to copy link location to paste in your post  or TWO  left click on the subject line  and then copy the url from the address line in your browser......

Example: OE:
 Re: Paeonia 2011 Right click here to copy link location to paste in your post

OR TWO:

Re: Paeonia 2011 - Left click here to see link in browser address bar

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg198366#msg198366

Thank you Matt.
It's indeed a very nice plant; I think I'm not a bad grower (after 45 years of plant cultivation...), but you can never achieve nice peonies on sandy soils; I'm happy to have here a good, fertile sandy loam...that's helps a lot!
I agree completely with your remarks about the name; ssp. marrocano isn't valid. I remember me the P. algerensis from Swiss Lukas; a very desirable species that I lack in my collection; I know nobody who can offer it, even seeds are unobtainable; probably I must go one day to Algeria!
Within a few days I will post pictures of another, much smaller P. coriacea (with bluish leaves); unfortunately I don't remember the origin.
Best wishes
Hendrik.

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
Paeonia mlokowitschii is starting.  This peony is beautiful at all times, even when the foliage is just developing.

I agree completely with you Astragalus!
A good yellow mloko is a wonderful sight...
Hendrik

Garden Prince

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »
A good yellow mloko is a wonderful sight...
Hendrik

Its flowers should last a little bit longer! With me the flowers last about a week which in my opinion is too short.

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
Here comes my first peony of the year, which I bought as Paeonia russoi var. reverchonii, which is now - according to Hong De-Yuan - P. corsica, though P. morisii might be the better name ...  ::) ???

SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
I've been away in Manchester for a week and a lot seems to have been happening on the forum while my back was turned. Some lovely peonies (and the tulips Matt!).

Where did you get your P. emodi from? Here in Europe it seems very difficult to get the true species...many nurseries sell here the Early-Late Windflower hybrids as P. emodi. I am still looking for the true species!
The huge plant at Kew in the Order Beds labelled as P. emodi is in fact one of the Windflower (it comes from Stern's garden at Highdown)...and I suspect that the big plant in Cambridge BG is also from Highdown (Gail...have you got pics of it?).
The plants at Kew in the south "Asia" end of the Rock Garden should be the true species and so should be the plant in Berlin-Dahlem BG (shown in the attached pic).
The main feature of true P. emodi is the single carpel.

M.

Thanks Maggi for finding the link to the Cambridge plant.
I'm not sure you can ever say that carpel number is ever 100% reliable as a feature, individual plants do vary from year to year.
I have true emodi from a Chris Chadwell collection (may be big enough to split this year) and a ? early/late windflower from Paul Christian.
I'll post some pictures as they come into flower. 
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Irm

• Berlin
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2013, 06:10:56 PM »
I have also an early windflower and a late windflower (both buyed as P.emodii). Now I've got a right plant, two years old, I hope, it will be in flower next year  ;)

illingworth

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
Matt wrote earlier that

>>The main feature of true P. emodi is the single carpel.<<

Attached is a photo of what we grow as P. emodi. Mclewen seed from 15 years ago

Does its carpel  pass the test or do I need to take the flower apart?

-Rob

Rob and Sharon,
Our garden at http://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
Well, I see just one carpel ...  If this is not an exception and the other flowers do also produce just one it should be true P. emodi. Will McLewin is always a very reliable source if you got it from him.
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »
Trichiotinus (Hairy Flower Scarab)
"hairy flower scarab" is just  a great name, isn't it?

Matt

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »
Matt wrote earlier that

>>The main feature of true P. emodi is the single carpel.<<

Attached is a photo of what we grow as P. emodi. Mclewen seed from 15 years ago

Does its carpel  pass the test or do I need to take the flower apart?

-Rob

Hi Rob

If all flowers on your plant are like the one in the pic...It should be right!
However if you got it from Will - as Thomas says - it is likely the plant is true to name.

M.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal