We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2013  (Read 72159 times)

Matt

Re: Paeonia 2013
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
Talking about misleading hybrids...this is a plant i bought more than 10 years ago as Paeonia mascula hellenica from Rareplants. I think it is a Mloko hybrid...one of the so called P. x chameleon. The flower itself could be almost morphologically true in its "chameleonic disguise" but the leaves - with round end rather than pointy - belong to the daurica complex rather than to the mascula complex.

However a beautiful and easy to grow plant...the flowers are not last longing though...3-4 days max.

Matt
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:11:40 AM by Matt »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2013, 11:04:14 AM »
I was very pleased that a Paeonia ostii that I was given by Matt was making good growth this year - that was before we had some very strong, gusting, swirling winds coupled with a bit of frost which have been quite damagingand made  the young growth look pretty sorry for itself.  :'(

It is not completely ruined, but it will not be as glorious as I hoped this year after growing well last year.  These winds have been a real nuisance - and this damage had occurred in our back garden which is usually well protected from the worst of the wind.  :(

And I won't even begin on my  disappointments over the years with P. tenuifolia......... :'( :'(

The photos from hose of you with beautiful, flourishing plants is an inspiration, Thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2013, 09:45:27 PM »
Absolutely wonderful, your dubious white peony, Matt. And obviously thriving ...

I am very sorry for your P. ostii, Maggi. Fortunately wind is no problem here in my very sheltered garden, but I never suceeded with P. tenuifolia as well ... too much competition I think, due to my matrix planting.

Some peony shoots:
Paeonia ostii 'Feng Dan Bai'
Paeonia officinalis
Paeonia 'Garden Peace'
Paeonia obovata
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2013, 10:12:14 PM »
Thomas, your photos of the new growth shows how lovely the emerging foliage is.

I think overcrowding may be the cause of some of my problems too.
Our back garden is, for the most part, very sheltered - but recent winds have been exceptionally  swirling and have reached all sorts of unlikely places.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2013, 06:53:37 AM »
Matt, very nice peony anyway. Nice growth habit and flowers seem quite big and open.  :)
Leena from south of Finland

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
Talking about misleading hybrids...this is a plant i bought more than 10 years ago as Paeonia mascula hellenica from Rareplants. I think it is a Mloko hybrid...one of the so called P. x chameleon. The flower itself could be almost morphologically true in its "chameleonic disguise" but the leaves - with round end rather than pointy - belong to the daurica complex rather than to the mascula complex.

However a beautiful and easy to grow plant...the flowers are not last longing though...3-4 days max.

Matt

Impressive clump.
Probably the form from Sicilië? (flavescens)
Hendrik

Matt

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »
Impressive clump.
Probably the form from Sicilië? (flavescens)
Hendrik

Attached two images of true P. flavescens - wild collected - from Bosco di Ficuzza near Palermo. The flowers on the "early" of my two clones (shown below) are strangely smaller than usual this year. The plant as a whole is however very different from the white P. x chameleon - the leaves especially.

Thomas...how sheltered is your garden? Your Euphorbia characias is huge!

Matteo
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:33:18 PM by Matt »

Matt

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
Paeonia rockii subsp. rockii (D.Y. Hong, 2010) - also called Paeonia rockii subsp. linyanshanii (Hong Tao & G.L. Osti, 1994) - from Tianshui (Gansu - China). Note the mostly entire & lanceolate leaflets and "all white" internal parts of the flower.

Paeonia ostii & dad :-)

M.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:03:35 PM by Matt »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2013, 09:52:11 PM »
Spectacular! No wonder your Father looks so pleased.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »
Wonderful plants Matt!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Matt

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
Two interesting hybrids:

P. rockii x P. ostii (with leaflets similar to P. ostii and "all red" internal parts of the flower)

P. rockii x P. decomposita (with leaflets very similar to P. decomposita and flowers intermediate between the two species)

M.

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
Wonderful plants, Matteo! Great to see true P. flavescens/mascula subsp. russoi !

My garden is very sheltered and we have a wine growing climate here. And the place for Euphorbia characias and Paeonia corsica is the most sheltered of the garden.

Today the second peony opend here: Paeonia mascula subsp. masula, from Will McLewin:

SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Matt

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
A nice clump of Paeonia clusii seedlings now 8 years old.
This is the only species that in my garden grows well in full sun.

M.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:07:51 AM by Matt »

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
Your planting of P. clusii is striking, Matt. Unfortunately I never succeeded with this species.

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
Fantastic peonies Matt!
You have really the right climate for the southern species...
I can grow them too, but never in such profusion.
Last year I lost my plant of P. parnassica, but from the roots emerge now 7 to 8 shoots, some more than 30 cm from the original plant!!!

Hendrik

P.S. I like especially the picture with your father...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal