Specific Families and Genera > Pleione and Orchidaceae

Pleione humilis: small bulbils

(1/2) > >>

JPB:
Hi, I was able to harvest some 50 small 1-2 mm bulbils. How to hibernate them properly? Any suggestions? Thanks , HAns

mark smyth:
most people over here store them almost dry in a frost free place until after January. A few people, including me, keep them outside all year. Mine are in troughs and the peat bed. Someone else I know grows them in a very gritty raised bed.

I think you will have to keep such small pseudobulbs somewhere where they will not dessicate

Luc Gilgemyn:
I've experienced that the trick to keep the smallest bulbils going is to make sure they are not kept too dry over winter.
I've succesfully tried small plastic bags with very sparingly moistened moss, in the fruit container of the fridge. 

Maggi Young:
Yes, Luc, that is what we used to do. Even in a fridge we use as a "seed fridge", where sometimes it would be switched off, but still provide a steady cool temperature. ( This fridge is in a shed)

Luc Gilgemyn:
I'm not as well equipped as you Maggi...
I have to be very friendly to the Mrs (which I always am of course  ::)) and rent some space in the kitchen fridge..  ;D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version