We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sculpture trail and Wisley Log 27.9.07  (Read 3909 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Sculpture trail and Wisley Log 27.9.07
« on: September 27, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »
I have just looked at the latest WIsley log (I'm thoroughly enjoying it by the way)and I was wondering who modelled for the Sculpture trail item number 4. I wouldn't like to meet him on a dark night.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:14:56 PM by Maggi Young »
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Sculpture trail and Wisley Log 27.9.07
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 04:38:56 AM »
Are you meaning sculpture 3, or do you have a thing about otters?  I'm assuming that sculpture 4 is an otter isn't it?  I am thinking that 3 and 5 look a little out of place (well they stand out like the proverbial dogs privates).  Rather like that heron at number one.

I am amazed by the red Roscoea myself.  Never seen anything like it.  Didn't even realise that they came in red.  I have some serious coveting going on now!!  ;D  Beautiful!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:15:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Sculpture trail andWisley Log 27.9.07
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »
I'm betting Shelagh was meaning no. 3..... you can seen him and quite a few of his mates downtown on a Satruday night in Aberdeen, and I'll bet, any other town!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:15:24 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
I am not sure where to post this but I noticed the mentioning of blanket weed in Wisley.
It is of course possible to take them out by "fishing" with a suitable implement. Any stick put into the weed and turned will pick it up.
However, there is another way.
The snail 'Lymnaea stagnalis', which I assume is wild in the UK, will eat it.
I have one larger "natural" pond with various animals including these snails. I never get any blanket weed there.
I also have a formal concrete pond that must be emptied in the winter. I then move all pots to the other pond.
This means that there I usually only get insect visitors but rarely snails or amphibians.
If I get blanket weed in the formal pond in the early summer I just drop a few snails in it and the weed disappears.The snails proliferate quickly.
If they become too many they will start on the water lilies as well. They do not do serious damage to them but if they eat the waterlilies I just move a few snails back and all is well.
Hope this is helpful to somebody
Göte.
PS
I still get a few water lily flowers but they become rarer and some kinds have disappeared from the surface.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:15:34 PM by Maggi Young »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

max

• two gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 05:17:06 AM »
I too was blown away by that red Roscoea.

I know nothing of Silene taxonomy, but the Wisley plant looks similar to something they are propagating at the University of California Botanical Garden, named only as Silene sp. Presumably they'd be familiar enough with S. californica to name it:

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal