Bulbs > Bulbs Wanted

Allium paradoxum

<< < (2/3) > >>

rob krejzl:
Coincidentally the latest Alpine-L digest has John Grimshaw talking of sweeping up & removing 3 barrow loads of bulbils from just a few square yards of ground.

Maggi Young:
Janne is in Finland, I think,  so perhaps plants with "bad" reputations elsewhere have more chance of behaving better in that country! ::)

Janne:

--- Quote from: rob krejzl on August 09, 2007, 12:13:08 AM ---Coincidentally the latest Alpine-L digest has John Grimshaw talking of sweeping up & removing 3 barrow loads of bulbils from just a few square yards of ground.

--- End quote ---

And I'm asking for a handful or two. Isn't it a little selfish not to share when one has so much ;) ;D Maybe He should consider taking my RoundUp offer...

Maggi, you could not have said it any better ;)  Maybe ::)

Annual minimum temperatures of -30C or more keep most plants in control in way you can't even imagine - sometimes hard freezes hit when there's no snow in the ground. I can only wish that Buddleja davidii would take over my small yard or that Narcissus pseudonarcissus would self seed around.  

I'm not saying that there are no invasive species in here, but a fact that a species is invasive in Central Europe or in New Zealand doesn't mean it must be invasive in here. It can be, like Impatiens noli-tangere or Lupinus polyphyllus but not necessarily.

If we stay on topic... In one danish document stated that A. paradoxum is sometimes a garden escapee, but it's unable to invade native vegetation. I honestly hope that will prove true in here also. Other option is of course that it will rot in the winter.

rob krejzl:
Janne,

Glad you saw that my way.

Personally I feel a little frisson of foreboding whenever people mention things like Scilla peruviana or Calochortus uniflorus. The former I inherited with the garden, the latter I was foolish enough to pay for the privilege of having. Both need watching here.

Email me your postal address & I'll try to remember the v. normale in due time.

Janne:
I do see your point.

Neither of the species you mentioned survives here outdoors. Scilla sibirica carpets the ground efficiently enough in here... I bought Lilium martagon and got rid of it few years later. At that point plants and seedlings were everywhere and its charmingly different scent had turned to a pungent odour that filled out the garden completely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version