We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Euonymus alatus f. compactus  (Read 9787 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Euonymus alatus f. compactus
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 01:56:43 AM »
It's on the seedlist!!! :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 02:51:31 AM »
It could be that it is an relatively unknown Euonymus species but it shows great resemblance to Euonymus cornutus var. quinquecornutus.

Here are two pictures of a 4 or 5 year old Euonymus cornutus var quinquecornutus which was propagated by seed. I have also a grafted form of this small Euonymus but I do not have any pictures of it.

GardenPrince,

Very cool Euonymus. :o  And I see that it is very hard to get seed from it! (Not!)  ;D  That is an impressive cover..... it must pretty much have every flower set seed?  Such a wonderful addition to a plant, to get a period where the seed is it's attraction, then to have leaves, autumn colour, branches etc at other times of year.  Very, very cool. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »
It could be that it is an relatively unknown Euonymus species but it shows great resemblance to Euonymus cornutus var. quinquecornutus.

Here are two pictures of a 4 or 5 year old Euonymus cornutus var quinquecornutus which was propagated by seed. I have also a grafted form of this small Euonymus but I do not have any pictures of it.
What struck me was that the plant is flowering well from a young age.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 07:05:47 PM »
Always a great advantage at my not-so-young age. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »
If I may go back to my post about an ID for some tubers, and their buyer's assertion that they were dahlias, not new potatoes, these have now sent up a little top growth and they ARE potatoes, but they weren't new ones, but the old tubers from which the new ones would grow and I guess that's how they got mixed in with the new ones. I have the guy's contact details so will email him and send a picture as well. At the time he said he had been a President of the NZ Dahlia Soc so obviously he doesn't know his dahlias quite as well as he thought he did. :o

Menai

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
I bought the simple species a few years ago and have also been very disappointed but Olga's remark about "sun and poor soil" explains all. A case of wrong plant, wrong place for me.

Erle
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal