General Subjects > Alpines

Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....

(1/266) > >>

Maggi Young:
Crevice  Gardening ......in defence of rock.....

In another thread in the General Forum section " Denmark's giant crevice garden... how it was made...."
 http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4462.0

....I mentioned an article from the Rock Garden Journal of 2003 written by Zdenek Zvolanek.
ZZ has  kindly given me permission to republish that article here and he will add some comments and more photos. :)

I will begin by this posting, where I will attach the 2003 article, broken down into four sections to allow for the Forum posting size restrictions.... they are in pdf format for easy download, to print or enlarge at will.....

ZZ's article : Crevice Gardening - in defense of rock..... in four sections, click below to download......

Stone Rider:
CREVICE   GARDENING

One top American musician (trumpet player like me) told his audience in the Prague Conservatory, that very important for your progress is to listen the performance of  maximum of good players in your free time.
I think that the same is in the case of a constructor of the rock outcrop.
 He (she) must see (and study) the maximum of rock works from different stones and from different designers.
 My plan is to show  some of my designs and also the ones from another constructers to compare.

126-Rockwork in Connecticut ZZ      granite side-walls, Connecticut

126  Cedicove bocni steny (Zvolánek)  basalt  side-walls,  N. Ireland

´KING OF HEARTS´in faces of layers (schist), Canada

Anchusa caespitosa and Daphne ridriguezii   small limestone side-walls, Karlik

Montreal Real             schist side-walls ,Montreal  Botanical Garden, Canada

Montreal Skalka          schist faces of layers, Montreal Botanical Garden

Stone Rider:
 There is very contrasting feeling if you see an outcrop towards Side-Walls (optic illusion of one compact rock) or towards Faces of Layers (not so perfect, sometimes little bit a busy; depends on the shape and the thickness of the layers). The best Main View is towards Side-Walls.

diabase faces of layers
 Porphyr side-walls
 porphyr faces of layers
 schist side-walls. N.Ireland
 schist side-walls , J. Papousek, Czechia
 schist faces of layers, J. Papousek, Czechia
 Limestone side-walls, KARLÍK
 Limestone faces of layers with Moltkia petraea

mark smyth:
some of the  photos are from  N. Ireland

Paddy Tobin:

--- Quote from: mark smyth on December 10, 2009, 05:04:07 PM ---The first photos is in N Ireland

--- End quote ---

Mark, I believe I recognise June's snowdrops? Paddy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version