We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wisley Log 1 2010 - Massonia germination  (Read 4027 times)

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
Wisley Log 1 2010 - Massonia germination
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »
Well done for starting another year Paul ! Most enjoyable and thought provoking to read, even though I have not posted yet.

I have been lucky enough to receive seeds of both M. depressa and M. aff. echinata from the SRGC Seed Exchange.  Can you give me/us some Top Tips for successful germination and growing of these weird plants?  I should be particularly interested in your advice on growing media, watering regime and temperature.
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Re: Wisley Log 1 2010 - Massonia germination
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »
Hello Richard,
I am pleased you enjoy the Log.
You will need now to keep the Massonia seed until the beginning of September and sow it then. Unlike many seeds, do not store it in the fridge, but in a warm, dry place. Sow in September in a mix of equal parts of John Innes compost (No. 1 or 2), peat, perlite and grit. This is the same mix as used for the adults too. Water in and keep outside in a cool, shady spot until germination which is usually within 6 weeks. Keep evenly moist. As soon as germination starts, bring under cover in the greenhouse. I keep mine just frost-free, but Massonias are fairly tough - the adults will take quite a bit of frost, but I would be a bit more careful with seedlings. Keep watered through the winter and give an occasional weak liquid feed. Once they start dying down in late spring or early summer, stop watering and keep dry until the autumn again. You can tip them out and pot separately if you want, any time during dormancy, or leave them a second year in the seed pot and then pot at the end of the second year.

Hope this helps

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
Re: Wisley Log 1 2010 - Massonia germination
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »
That makes sense, like giving them a typical summer in dry warm soil before germinating in the autumn - I shall try that. 
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal