We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione hybrid  (Read 2418 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Pleione hybrid
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »
If this should be under Pleione please move it.
Dear Paul thanks for yet an interesting log. I am not yet growing pleiones but like them and am also a bit interested in breeding/ genetics on a hobby level.
I was thinking about your nice new hybrid.
Did you from the beginning treat it as Autumn grower or were You able to be neutral and act on how the bulb reacted? With the small plantlets I would presume that that is not easy?
Or did You go as the mother? Would a reverse cross give a different result?
Just very fascinating.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Re: Pleione hybrid
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:53:05 AM »
Hi Joakim,
Both the spring - flowering Pleione and the autumn ones grow at the same time. It is only the flowering time that is different. The Spring ones flower at the start of their season, the autumn ones at the end of their season, but the leaf growth is the same. So I can treat them all the same way.

A reverse cross could come out with different results. You never know until you try it - which is all part of the fun!

Kind regards

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »
It IS a real stunner Paul !!  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
Thanks Paul
I though the temperature treatment were different for the two kinds.
That is nice that the plant decides and You will see if all the siblings also will be autumn flowering or not. Who knows maybe You will have more wonders to show us from this cross.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal