Specific Families and Genera > Cacti and Succulents

Sempervivum: Late Settling In.....

(1/1)

cohan:
i've just received a little packet of semps from somewhere that i'm sure has been warmer than here! they were sent a little moist, and all are rather pale after 9 days in the post, and some are a touch etiolated, though not most...

im not sure what to do with them now, as its very late in the season here--we're hopefully easing out of a cold spell the last week, roughly--we've had daytimes below freezing, and hit a record low somewhere around -20C! it should be back above freezing for daytimes now for a while 7 to 17C, but nights will still be near or below freezing, often considerably below... if i put them straight out, i dont know what would happen to them, i doubt they'd root, would they survive as unrooted rosettes?....

the semps that are  outside in pots will be sunk in the ground (as soon as it thaws!) but should i keep these ones warm for a while to let them root in, or just keep them dry and let them start hardening right away?
or do i need to keep them inside all winter? semps never look good indoors, but i could put them under lights to root, then on a very cool windowsill till early spring when i could harden them off?

Arie.v:
I would keep them in a cool windowsill and they will root at cool temperatures and then plant them out in spring.
Especially if they look a little pale and stretched the freezing temperatures will not help them any

cohan:

--- Quote from: Arie.v on October 15, 2009, 02:07:27 AM ---I would keep them in a cool windowsill and they will root at cool temperatures and then plant them out in spring.
Especially if they look a little pale and stretched the freezing temperatures will not help them any

--- End quote ---

thanks for the input...i was kind of leaning that way, too... some look solid enough, and might be fine, but the weak ones especially i cant imagine surviving the cold..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version