Seedy Subjects! > Seeds Wanted

Rubus chamaemorus (Cloudberry, Hjortron, Hilla, Moltebeere, Molte, Multebær)

(1/2) > >>

John S.:
Hi,

I'd be interested to know if anyone has Rubus chamaemorus (Cloudberry, Hjortron, Hilla, Moltebeere, Molte, Multebær) seed available?

Many thanks and regards

John

Maggi Young:
Hello, John S, welcome to the forum. I have no seed of the cloudberry for you, I'm sorry. We don't get much fruit.

Lesley Cox:
Do you get ANY fruit Maggi. From what I've read about it, even the far north of Scotland isn't cold enough to produce a fruit crop.

However, on April 26th 2006, there was a post offering to supply seed to an enquirer. Not sure if he wants his name broadcast here, so I'll email privately to John S.

Maggi Young:
Lesley, once or twice we have had a berry or two, no more than that, and before they ripen the blackbird gets them, in spite of our attempts to get there first!
In the last few years the plant is just ticking over and gets trampled on by the paper boy.  >:(

Lesley Cox:
I lost mine in a succession of extremely dry summers around 2-5 years ago. It's not replaceable in NZ unfortunately. Anything with a blackberry generic name makes MAF have kittens - or nightmares. In any case though it was a very nice goundcover, I had only a male plant so no fruit even if I could have produced the right climate for it. I have a book about berries ("The Berry Garden, Cultivation, Decoration and Recipes" with text by Mary Forsell and photographs by Tony Cenicola.) The pics of R. chamaemorus still occasionally have me waking in the night, longing to try some.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version