Bulbs > Ian Young's Bulb Log - Feedback Forum

TROUGHS

(1/14) > >>

Ian Y:

In Bulb Log 38 http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/170908/log.html I show a method of making Troughs using cement, sand and a fish box - it is a new slant on an old method.

Over the coming weeks I will post a whole series of extra pictures, many taken at workshops, of the making process.

I will also cover planting the troughs and follow up pictures of the troughs progress as the plants establish.

Carlo:
Beauty Ian...can't wait to see more.

Given the small amount of soil that is likely to be present in the pictured trough, what are you planting in it (can't make them out) and are you planning a little bit more regular watering?

Maggi Young:

--- Quote from: Carlo on September 17, 2008, 01:18:35 PM ---Given the small amount of soil that is likely to be present in the pictured trough, what are you planting in it (can't make them out) and are you planning a little bit more regular watering?

--- End quote ---
All will be revealed in future logs, Carlo.... keep watching!! ;)

Carlo:
Wouldn't miss it. This is a topic of particular interest to me...

...and the initial photo shows a beauty. I keep trying to get people here to LANDSCAPE their troughs--build UP...and yet they continue to treat them like pots.

Jim McKenney:
Thanks for sharing this, Ian.

As our gardens get smaller, troughs more and more seem to be the future of rock gardening for some of us. I have a small section of garden which I want to develop as a trough yard or trough garden so-to-speak.
I live in an area where exposed rock is not a part of the natural, local topography. Rock gardens built in any of the "heaps of rock" styles stick out like a sore thumb and are very difficult to integrate into small gardens. Those with a lot of space can tuck them around the corner where they are not too obtrusive, but on a small place I find them about as attractive as a junk vehicle parked on the lawn.

But to my eyes a handsomely arrayed selection of troughs is another matter entirely. Troughs are so inviting and approachable: I'm really itching to build a small sitting area cozily embraced by troughs, troughs built in a variety of sizes,  using a variety of materials, showing varied textures and surfaces and displaying a carefully considered suite of beautiful and interesting plants.

So I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Thank you, Ian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version