We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus × allenii  (Read 1400 times)

Wim Snoeijer

Galanthus × allenii
« on: January 15, 2023, 03:27:31 PM »
Dear Galanthophiles,

Is there anyone of you that grow Galanthus × allenii, with an origin "pedigree", and is willing to sell and send to Holland?

Many thanks.

Wim

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Galanthus × allenii
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 09:41:04 PM »
Mine came from Paul Christian Rare Plants, probably 20 years or more ago but I don't know where he got his stock? If it is of interest, my son is living in Amsterdam and I'll probably be visiting in March...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Wim Snoeijer

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 06:44:50 AM »
Thanks, Gail, for your reply and offer, that's very kind. I would love a bulb and March or later is fine with me.

Reason of my interest is a private report I wrote and came across the type specimen at RBG Kew. http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000464006

Now I want to make a herbarium specimen too, in a few years time.

Best wishes,
Wim

Mariette

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 09:28:01 AM »
Mine came from the collection of the late Barbara and Eberhard Fluche. The authenticity of their varieties were approved of by Alan Street and Matt Bishop when visiting. I may take a pic when this variety is in flower.

Wim Snoeijer

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 09:51:06 AM »
Thanks, Mariette, for your reply and look forward to a photo in due course. The identity approval by Alan and Matt is fantastic.

Mariette

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 01:47:27 PM »
Unfortunately, after a short absence, G. x allenii was almost withered. Maybe, the pics still help.

I think, the broad, matt leaves with their silvery grey cast on green underlay are quite unmistakeable, added by the supervolute vernation. This variety is easy to recognise and sold at comparatively low prices.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 01:54:00 PM by Mariette »

Wim Snoeijer

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 05:01:09 PM »
Thanks, Mariette, for sharing photo's.

I finished my manuscript which is 48 pages with only a few pages text and the rest are references. In Dutch of course. The pdf is 10 mb. Can anyone advice if it is possible to post the pdf in this Forum for anyone to downlaod? Thanks!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 05:57:37 PM »
Hi Wim, the pdf is too large for the forum as it stands - but I have emailed a message to you.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal