General Subjects > Plants Wanted Or For Exchange

Scottish Willow

(1/2) > >>

Tim Harberd:
I'm trying to track down Salix x balfourii (caprea x lanata).... Balfour's Willow ... named after Scottish botanist John Hutton Balfour ... I've found a nursery in America which lists it!!

The only place I've found it in the UK is Thenford Gardens, Oxfordshire... (not a nursery)

Presumably it is still grown in its native land?

I'm hoping someone in Scotland might be able to spare me some cuttings in the autumn?

Tim DH

Karaba:
Closer but still on the other side of the channel : https://www.pepiniere-brochetlanvin.com/saules-salix-osiers-collection/1532-Salix-x-balfouri-saule-de-balfour.html

ian mcdonald:
Tim, maybe the gardener would allow some cuttings. The head gardeners sometimes help people who are interested in their plants. Perhaps a message to Thenford might be useful?

annew:
A friend has a very special (and endangered - he's looking for a home for it) collection of rare hybrid willows. I will ask him.

annew:
My friend has replied:
Re Salix x balfourii.  This has never been found inthe wild, at least in Britain. Linton claimed that he had synthesized from the parents in his garden but even if correct I doubt it still exists.  
Sorry we are unable to help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version