We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Garden Crocus  (Read 2584 times)

Tim Harberd

Garden Crocus
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »
Hi Guys,
   I don't grow many crocus... (I've got a few Sieberi in pots.)

My wife would like some in the garden BUT she is not keen on the Mass Municipal plantings of purple 'Dutch' forms.

I'm thinking of getting some of the Yellow/White  Chrysanthus/Biflorus cultivars listed in the compilation above. Thomas Huber very helpfully lists those that set seed!

Is this a reasonable proposition for Northern England?

Any other suggested solutions appreciated!

Tim DH

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Garden Crocus
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:33:17 PM »
It  certainly is Tim.  And they can look especially  lovely if  used in the lawn, as shown in these photos  from Thomas Huber's own garden in Germany. ( in an area which can get  cold and snowy!)

636453-0

636455-1

636457-2
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Harberd

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »

SO: I finally got round to collecting a few Yellow/White  Chrysanthus/Biflorus cultivars

The Goldene Sonne looks good, but by comparison the anthers on the Cream Beauty look to be sterile? Have I got the wrong plant here??

Incidentally, if you know of a source of any of the Whites which Thomas lists as a good seed setter I’d be interested ( Argenteus, Parkinsonii, White Beauty, Willem van Eeden )

Tim DH   

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:03:33 AM »
Also I enjoyed Thomas Huber's article very much, and was very informative of which species are more hardy than others. And crocuses growing in the lawn are an  inspiration. Thank you!
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal