General Subjects > Travel / Places to Visit

NZ Field trips January 2007

(1/19) > >>

Lesley Cox:
Our day yesterday was interesting, if damp, though as much for good food and drink, and a trip to McRae's Flat where there is a massive gold mining project, as for plants.

Our first stop was to let the dog have a run and drink which gave me an opportunity to see the Central Otago rockscape in context, but with a "rest area" sign to keep things civilized.

This rock is entirely typical of Central Otago and is basically a schist type, rotten to the core and crying out to be made into crevice gardens.

We were caught on a torrential downpour with thunder and lightening so took shelter for a few minutes in this little rock alcove.

But the rain cleared quickly and I was able to take a few pictures.

Lesley Cox:
This unlikely candidate is a member of the Violaceae and is one of many divaricating shrubby plants native to New Zealand. It is (I think) Hymenanthera alpina.

The thorns are vicious and very rigid. Don't fall into it!

Here it is in unripe fruit. The orange bits are lichen.

Bulbinella hookeri or the so-called "Maori Onion" is attractive in the garden but would be better if it didn't flower gradually as the bottom flowers are gone and the stem looks shabby before the upper ones are out.

This little orchid is also in bloom at the top while in seed lower down. It is very unspectacular, maybe a prasophyllum. It seems larger in both flower and seed than the ubiquitous and weedy Microtis uniflora.

Paddy Tobin:
Lesley,

Great to see the other side of the world. Good rocks. Looking forward to some plant photographs. Many thanks for posting.

And now for a completely personal comment: You really must change the photograph you use with your posts. It doesn't do you justice at all - this is after seeing you in that alcove sheltering from the rain.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin:
Lesley,

Delighted to see Bulbinella hookeri in the wild. It grows well here. That other plant, the thorny one, might well be called the resurrection plant since those who fall into it are sure to rise again.

Paddy

Joakim B:
Lesley I agree with Paddy regarding the photo! If I my have an opinion.
Paddy a good joke :) :)
The violet is truley a mother-in-law violet! We only have step mother violets in Sweden but they look much less harmfull :)

Nice pics of mighty rocks
Joakim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version