We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus August 2011  (Read 7962 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Crocus August 2011
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »
Another quick question - if a Crocus wakes up very early (it's not so early any more, but let's say end of July/beginning of August when I had C. suworowianus in flower) and send sup a flower, do you begin watering or leave it till September?

Ta,

Alex

I'd start watering any bulb that's started to flower, no matter how early.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 11:49:26 PM »
I would too, though mine are all in the garden so get rain anyway.

Sorry Kris, I should have said that it's nice to see Celmisias in ANY northern garden, though I perhaps mis-read Thomas's post as having found a Celmisia in Chris's bed but I guess a crocus is more likely. I don't think it would be very comfortable for him though, whichever was in his bed. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »
his banaticus is growing on top of my latest rockgarden in bonedry soil where the sun is burning from 3pm until evening!
Generally it is said, that banaticus likes it moist and cool in summer, but this is not given there... ???

For the last couple of years I have been storing banaticus corms (small seedlings and mature corms) dry in plastic bags during summer, between de-potting and re-potting, and they have been fine.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 12:56:31 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't mix NH and SH crocuses as it could be confusing, but this IS a Crocus August thread and it IS august in the SH so here are 3 in flower now. The weather has been snowy then rainy so a lot have been damaged and weren't worth a picture.

First, could I have an ID for this one please. I guess it's a chrysanthus/biflorus hybrid and turned up now, in a patch of C cancellatus ssp mazziaricus which has been in flower since March!
309963-0

Then the lovely C. x Bornmuelleri, just a quite ordinary yellow when fully open but really beautiful in the bud. Sorry it's a bit blurry.
309965-1

309967-2

And lastly, the precious c. olivieri ssp balansae 'Chocolate Soldier.' In a trough now and I'm pleased to see it is increasing quite well. The moss is because the trough is shaded half the day and we've had a lot of dull, damp weather. I may move the crocus to a sunnier spot though it's doing well.

309969-3
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:59:07 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »
Lesley, your blue chrysanthus looks a bit like 'Princess Beatrix'.....

You would get your mouth wide open if you could see what is growing comfortable beneath my Crocusses  ;D
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Kees Green

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
Leslie that chocolate soldier is very nice.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »
Hello Janis,

Yes, is that damp not wet? And when do you start keeping them wetter? I'd be really interested to hear your approach to watering these species.

Cheers,

Alex

Sorry for very late reply. Too busy last weeks with garden jobs, tomorrow will finish replanting on open field, but still must harvest and replant all alliums, frits, colchicums which are grown in pots. Scillas. Ornithogalums, muscari, irises etc. will stay for next year.
From crocuses started blooming scharojani and scharojanii flavus, suworovianus and some cancellatus. But still very few only. Really only last week I gave first watering.
But now about growing of pelistericus, scardicus  and scharojanii. I found that keeping them too wet (sorry, I supposed that damp is more waterfull than wet, but it is just opposite) isn't the best way. I was growing them earlier placing pots in pans, where allways was some water, and soil was really waterfull. But I can't tell that I was very satisfied with results. This year I put pots out of greenhouse on geo-textile film (this one not allow weed growing but allow for water to drain through). Summer was very hot and dry, so I every week well watered all Crocus pots. In early August, when leaves started to yellow I replanted those species and was pleasantly surprised for very good quality of corms - far better than earlier, when I kept them in pans. So soil during summer must be damp, but not too wet.
Janis
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:01:53 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »
Dirk and Poul,
congratulations - great start of the autuum crocus blossom in the NH 8)

I agree with Armin . Very nice and some are certainly on my wishlist  ;D

The first to flower here this year :  Crocus banaticus 'Snowdrift' Some shots made this weekend ...
Greetings! Never so early here. Usually in October only.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
his banaticus is growing on top of my latest rockgarden in bonedry soil where the sun is burning from 3pm until evening!
Generally it is said, that banaticus likes it moist and cool in summer, but this is not given there... ???

For the last couple of years I have been storing banaticus corms (small seedlings and mature corms) dry in plastic bags during summer, between de-potting and re-potting, and they have been fine.

I store them in dry sand or in plastic bags. Better in plastic bags, but then shooting start earlier and replanting must be done earlier.
Janis

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 08:23:05 PM »
Sorry for very late reply. Too busy last weeks with garden jobs, tomorrow will finish replanting on open field, but still must harvest and replant all alliums, frits, colchicums which are grown in pots. Scillas. Ornithogalums, muscari, irises etc. will stay for next year.
From crocuses started blooming scharojani and scharojanii flavus, suworovianus and some cancellatus. But still very few only. Really only last week I gave first watering.
But now about growing of pelistericus, scardicus  and scharojanii. I found that keeping them too wet (sorry, I supposed that damp is more waterfull than wet, but it is just opposite) isn't the best way. I was growing them earlier placing pots in pans, where allways was some water, and soil was really waterfull. But I can't tell that I was very satisfied with results. This year I put pots out of greenhouse on geo-textile film (this one not allow weed growing but allow for water to drain through). Summer was very hot and dry, so I every week well watered all Crocus pots. In early August, when leaves started to yellow I replanted those species and was pleasantly surprised for very good quality of corms - far better than earlier, when I kept them in pans. So soil during summer must be damp, but not too wet.
Janis

Good news!
Then there is hope that there will be Scarojanii in your sales list next year ;)

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 09:22:34 PM »
Lesley, your blue chrysanthus looks a bit like 'Princess Beatrix'.....

You would get your mouth wide open if you could see what is growing comfortable beneath my Crocusses  ;D
Thanks Thomas, I've separated it from the others and labelled it as 'Princess Beatrix' which I did have a one stage but haven't seen for a couple of years and I didn't remember this quite richly coloured one.
So WHAT is growing beneath your crocuses?

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »
Thank you Janis, very interesting and good to know. I know well how busy August is for bulb growers, and I can only imagine what it's like with a collection like yours  :o

About the C. pelistericus, assuming you keep them wetter in the Autumn to Spring, do you do this by just watering more frequently, or standing in a tray of water?

Cheers,

Alex

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 08:13:32 AM »
Thanks Thomas, I've separated it from the others and labelled it as 'Princess Beatrix' which I did have a one stage but haven't seen for a couple of years and I didn't remember this quite richly coloured one.
So WHAT is growing beneath your crocuses?

Lesley, I wrote it 'looks a bit like' Princess Beatrix - if you havn't seen them for a while, your plants are probably seedlings of the original Princess-plants. Please compare them with the photos in my cultivar-thread to be sure. I could send you some more photos if needed.....

This is growing between my crocusses:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7040.msg202950#new
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:01 PM »
Thank you Janis, very interesting and good to know. I know well how busy August is for bulb growers, and I can only imagine what it's like with a collection like yours  :o

About the C. pelistericus, assuming you keep them wetter in the Autumn to Spring, do you do this by just watering more frequently, or standing in a tray of water?

Cheers,

Alex

No, I'm not more standing them in trays with water, only I'm watering them more frequently than other crocuses. Plastic pots dries out slowly. In summer they (pelistericus, scardicus and their hybrids, scharojanii) receive watering once a week, if there are no natural rains. Most difficult are scardicus and scharojanii (both subsp. typica and subsp. lazicus). Pelistericus, gothoburgensis and scharojanii flavus are much easier.
Janis

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 04:57:39 AM »
Thanks Thomas, certainly 'Princess Beatrix' is the closest to mine but mine is deeper coloured than in the pic on the ID thread. No other is anything like it at all. It could be a seedling but I doubt it as it is miles away from where the originals were - and probably still are, under long grass. I'll replace the label and put simply "deep blue chrysanthus/biflorus type hybrid" if I can find a label long enough! ;D Whatever, it's very nice and different from anything else that has flowered this year.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:59:38 AM by Lesley Cox »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal