We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2010  (Read 48025 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Lilium 2010
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:25:27 AM »
Here are a few pics before 3 days of above 40oC temperatures!
This is a Lilium henryi hybrid I got from fellow forumist Paul R.
187532-0

187534-1

Another one of Paul R's henryi hybrids
187540-2

187542-3

And this is one is from Adrian at Coal Creek Bulb Farm: "X-phi"
187536-4

And another of Adrian's, "Pappos Beauty"
187538-5

Adrian sold a mix of trumpet seedlings as "Serendipity Mix" and these are some that flowered in the last week,
A nice yellow trumpet,
187548-6

And one with a more flared mouth, (this one finished by early January)
187550-7

And one with a rather constricted mouth - the closest I'll ever get to a cardiocrinum! ;D
187544-8

187546-9

cheers
fermi

edit by maggi: A reminder to click the pix to enlarge them, Folks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:19:26 PM by Maggi Young »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Lilium 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:58 AM »
Fermi Nice with colour now when it is less colourfull outside here in the North (coming from one that is almost as far south in  western Europe as possible). Not of I can say that. Hope the lillies survive the heat-spell You have and continue to flower well. Nice to have names/persons to the lillies to associate them with.
All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »
Fermi, wunderful lillies 8)
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:21 PM »
The speckled one from coal creek is very nice Fermi.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:24:41 AM »
The speckled one from coal creek is very nice Fermi.
Thanks, Lesley,
that was the last days of the second flower, the first one open around X'mas:
187650-0187652-1

Apologies to Paul R :-[ , the first one I attributed to him is actually one I got from CCBF as "Lady Alice"! Paul's was one in this bed that got wiped out by the heat!  :'(
187654-2

Hopefully the bulb will recover to flower next year. Otherwise I may have to move it to join the others I got from him under the canopy of a small Golden Elm,
187656-3
Lesley, you can see "Dave Toole's teucrium" colonising this area!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

vanozzi

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 06:44:10 AM »
G'day fermides, sorry your henryi bulbs from me did poorly for you. Even though they were all gifts, you at least want them to see a season out ;D
Perhaps you need to grow one of my 4N trumpets for a bit of shade?
Regards Paul R
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

vanozzi

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 06:54:41 AM »
G'day all--here are some of my henryi hybrids flowering now.
Regards Paul R
Paul R

vanozzi

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:04:33 AM »
And a few species-- With some of them, I had to take the pollen off very early to ripen inside,  otherwise with the +40c there would be nothing left.

Langkonguense
Wardii

Regards Paul R
Paul R

Ray

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 09:00:38 AM »
Hi Paul R,some great lilies there Paul especially the 4N trumpets,what are you feeding them as they look huge and so many flowers.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
 Wow, what a superb lot of pictures and great to see all the variations, do the all flower in Jan or how early do some start to flower?,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »
A few photos taken at yesterday's Lilium Show of our local Ferny Creek Horticultural Soc.
  Despite the recent heatwave and hailstorms we experienced here most blooms were of a very high standard - only disappointment for me was that not more species were shown .
 so the last photo is of Lilium chalcedonicum in my garden , flowering happily during the recent extreme heat .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 02:30:24 AM »
The Show hall looks delightful with those fine exhibits.  The hybrids do give a bright display, that's for sure, but it's hard to beat a simple species.

Amazing that so much has come through your weather unscathed, or seemingly so, going by the pictures, Otto.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
It's great to see you with us again Otto. I hope the illness is receding quickly and you'll be back to your bright and floral self.

The lily display looks wonderful, but, yes, I prefer species too.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

vanozzi

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 12:27:28 AM »
Hi Paul R,some great lilies there Paul especially the 4N trumpets,what are you feeding them as they look huge and so many flowers.bye Ray

G'day Ray--glad you like some of my lilies.Now as far as my current feeding method goes, I will have to begin with my mulch. After last years Black Saturdays' 46C/48C with howling hot northerly winds, my  compost of pine fines ended up in New Zealand.So this year I brought in very fibrous recycled mulch and applied it at least 20cm deep, making most of my beds raised about 30cm above the surrounding ground.After the liliums began growth and were about 20cm above ground, I applied a handful of dynamic lifter to the square metre and  a few weeks later put an egg cup full of Incitec Pivot N7.8  P3.8  K9.6 to the square metre.I need to adjust the PH, it was averaging 5.9.Throughout the season, I gave two copper sprays, two insecticide sprays and several seasol sprays.My liliums grow in full sun, no shade, but I need to put up shade cloth if I want to continue my oriental and some specie breeding.
I live at low altitude so my conditions are different to those in the dandenong ranges with their free draining volcanic soils and cooler weather.On Dec 9/2010 I did a simple experiment.My local weather station at the Cranbourne Botanic gardens gives areading each half hour, so at 12.30 PM when they gave a reading of 36c (in the shade) it was 34c in the shade here, 44c on my patio and maybe at least 60c ground level, full sun where my liliums grow.Amazing, two clumps of wardii grow and flower in these conditions.One thing of note is that almost all my liliums have been raised from seed by me, so they should  be fairly free of virus and vigorous.
Regards Paul R
Paul R

vanozzi

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 12:46:07 AM »
Wow, what a superb lot of pictures and great to see all the variations, do the all flower in Jan or how early do some start to flower?,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.

G'day Ian, those henryi hybrids of mine start flowering at the end of Dec right through to mid January.Lankongense, pot grown, second week of Jan,Wardii mid Dec through to 2nd week Jan.Trumpets, mid Dec through to mid Jan, OT'S the same except the ryirubes tend to be earlier due to the rubellum genes, auratums right through Jan, speciosums, mid to late January.My martagons flower in October and hopefully I have harvested the seed before the heat waves of Jan and Feb.
Regards Paul R
Paul R

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal