We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stagonospora infection - collected threads  (Read 115288 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Don't look - Galanthus horror stories!
« Reply #510 on: February 04, 2011, 10:38:28 PM »
Can you buy Dursban? It sounds like some very nasty stuff and is banned for anything but agricultural use in the US. This is interesting reading:

http://www.bhopal.net/delhi-marchers/factsheets/Dursban.pdf
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #511 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
This thread is really demoralizing :)
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #512 on: February 04, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »
If I can only grow snowdrops with the use of industrial-strength insecticides that fell off the back of a tractor then it will take a lot of the fun out of it for me!  I don't mind doing some work, particularly where I only have one bulb of the cultivar, but I would rather use something that was 50% effective on killing swift moth larvae and 0% effective on killing me than something that was 100% effective on killing swift moth larvae and 1% effective on killing me.

Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #513 on: February 04, 2011, 11:24:18 PM »
I am of the opinion that something 100percent effective at killing anything is equally likely to be 100 per cent effective at killing people...... all too risky.... I can get enough risk taking thrills crossing the road, I don't need to try chemical poisoning on that scale.
I've seen too many sickly farmers.  :P  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #514 on: February 05, 2011, 04:53:00 AM »
Can you buy Dursban? It sounds like some very nasty stuff and is banned for anything but agricultural use in the US. This is interesting reading:

Good Lord.   :o   A nerve toxin developed by Nazi's for chemical warfare in 1930 - and now used as a bug spray.   :-X
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #515 on: February 05, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I just like to tell my tale of woe,i went to my sisters house for christmas leaving all my snowdrops 12cmx12cm pots outside(they were in pots because of a house move) forgot about them,to cut a long story short lost loads of them due to frost,very very big lesson learnt. :( :'( putting the rest in the ground today if stops raining.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #516 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:45 AM »

Good Lord.   :o   A nerve toxin developed by Nazi's for chemical warfare in 1930 - and now used as a bug spray.   :-X

History of nerve agents
Early pioneers in the field include Jean Louis Lassaigne (early 19th century) and Philip de Clermount (1854). In 1932, German chemist Willy Lange and his graduate student, Gerde von Krueger, first described the cholinergic nervous system effects of organophosphates, noting a choking sensation and a dimming of vision after exposure. This discovery later inspired German chemist Gerhard Schrader at company IG Farben in the 1930s to experiment with these compounds as insecticides. Their potential use as chemical warfare agents soon became apparent, and the Nazi government put Schrader in charge of developing organophosphate (in the broader sense of the word) nerve gases. Schrader's laboratory discovered the G series of weapons, which included Sarin, Tabun, and Soman. The Nazis produced large quantities of these compounds, though did not use them during World War II. British scientists experimented with a cholinergic organophosphate of their own, called diisopropylfluorophosphate (DFP), during the war. The British later produced VX nerve agent, which was many times more potent than the G series, in the early 1950s, almost 20 years after the Germans had discovered the G series.
After World War II, American companies gained access to some information from Schrader's laboratory, and began synthesizing organophosphate pesticides in large quantities. Parathion was among the first marketed, followed by malathion and azinphosmethyl. The popularity of these insecticides increased after many of the organochlorine insecticides like DDT, dieldrin, and heptachlor were banned in the 1970s
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #517 on: February 05, 2011, 02:59:49 PM »
I just like to tell my tale of woe,i went to my sisters house for christmas leaving all my snowdrops 12cmx12cm pots outside(they were in pots because of a house move) forgot about them,to cut a long story short lost loads of them due to frost,very very big lesson learnt. :( :'( putting the rest in the ground today if stops raining.

Poor you Davey, thats a very hard lesson to learn.  I did it too the first time I bought bulbs, I think from Avon Bulbs, many years ago.  I potted them up in big pots with plenty of grit and stood them outside.

They got frozen solid and didn't survive.

I think overpotting was one of my mistakes, too much wet compost.  The other mistake was to let them freeze through.

Now I put them in a sand plunge and even chuck fleece over if a hard frost is forecast and they are newly potted.

So far this winter everything in the plunge has survived despite -12 C,  but I still think its safer to plant most snowdrops straight into the garden.

steve owen

« Reply #518 on: February 06, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »
Exhumed four apparently healthy clumps for routine division and latticing; one was; two had a single rotten bulb in the middle, that would doubtless have spread infection, and the fourth clump had considerable disease although there had beenno sign in the leaves apart from a slight reduction in leaf height. Now I understand better why I have lost bulbs and small clumps in the past.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #519 on: February 07, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »
this is what i have been seeing pot after pot,i feel so stupid.This was Marjorie Brown
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #520 on: February 07, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
Davey, your main problem seems to be an absence of roots.  Those that know say planting in sharp sand is good for root formation; of course you have to feed regularly under those circumstances.  I don't see that you have anything much to lose provided you keep an eye on the snowdrops and remove any that wither. 
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #521 on: February 07, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »
Davey
Its difficult to tell from just one bad bulb but if you say you have this problem with quite a few pots, the problem seems more than just the growing medium - after all, healthy bulbs will try to put down roots whatever they are in. So the usual suspects are

a) frost damage leading to rotting, if the pots are quite small
b) rotting from waterlogging if the pots were standing in a wet situation before growth started
c) stagonospora disease - unlikely to have affected a lot of pots simultaneously unless you have been either v unlucky indeed or careless with the hygiene of handling and potting them (and even then widespread stag seems unlikely)
d) narcissus grub attack - but again seems unlikely to have wiped out a lot of pots simultaneously.

We've all had pots and bulbs looking like that but not in a lot of pots at the same time, I think. Any more info from your end to narrow things down?
Steve
Beds/Bucks border

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #522 on: February 07, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
Can you cut the bulb in half and show the photo. Is there a hole in the base? Are the scales tinged red?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #523 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »
Can you cut the bulb in half and show the photo. Is there a hole in the base? Are the scales tinged red?

Davey - It appears to me the roots have, as you say, simply frozen off in the pots. The bulb looks fine. Do you think it might be possible to chip your most important ones immediately before those shoots extend or collapse?

Here Galanthus in pots can take a lot of cold and frequently freeze as hard as rock but they absolutely must be sunk to the rim in sand or wood chips and the frame covered with white plastic or a tarp to prevent freeze/thaw, drying of the medium and water-logging. Fleece is of little use in our climate.

Best of luck to you.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

steve owen

« Reply #524 on: February 07, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
Davey

If you have lost all your Marjorie Brown, PM me and I'll send you a replacement.

Steve
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal