We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 132350 times)

ruweiss

Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2019, 09:36:54 PM »
Dave - well done, beautiful plants perfectly situated. Wish, that these plants would also
grow at all in my hot garden.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #526 on: March 18, 2019, 07:26:02 AM »
Hello Dave

It's wonderful to marvel at your bed. A fantastic work. All plants look very good. Especially I envy you Phyllachne rubra and Ranunculus crithmifolius. Both are in this year's sowing season with me...but so far I am waiting in vain for germination. I have to become more patient.

I wish you a good development of the new bed and look forward to more pictures from your garden.

Cheers
Thomas

Thanks Thomas -- The plants are doing well in the sand bed although their growth is slow.I still have to figure out whether/what to feed them.

Nice job Dave.

Cheers David.

Dave - well done, beautiful plants perfectly situated. Wish, that these plants would also
grow at all in my hot garden.

Hello Rudi -- It's still warm here with temps forecast to reach the mid 20sC with a drop of about 10c overnight and starting to get very dry again.We are on limited tank water collected off the roof and I haven't been able to keep up with the watering of pots so have lost a few plants.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #527 on: March 31, 2019, 08:51:42 PM »
Veronica pulvinaris

ruweiss

« Reply #528 on: March 31, 2019, 09:02:58 PM »
What a nice plant.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Leucogenes

« Reply #529 on: April 19, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
I got this Celmisia without a name.  I don't know if it is a pure botanical form or a hybrid.  I would be very happy about an identification.

Leucogenes

« Reply #530 on: April 24, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »
Thanks to Hamish Brown... he identified this Celmisia as C. angustifolia.

Maggi...  thank you for giving my coordinates to Hamish some time ago.  There is a small botanical correspondence since then.

Cliff...  I have not photographed the Celmisia in the middle because of you...below left is Ranunculus insignis.   ;D

Leucogenes

« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2019, 09:16:10 PM »
Actually one shows young seedlings elsewhere...sorry...but as this is my first notable success with native NZ, I allow myself to show them here. A few days ago I discovered the first signs of life in Leucogenes grandiceps and Raoulia hectori. Both sown on 20.11.18. Source of supply is the NZAGS.

I am very happy about this partial success... :D

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #532 on: May 04, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »
Actually one shows young seedlings elsewhere...sorry...but as this is my first notable success with native NZ, I allow myself to show them here. A few days ago I discovered the first signs of life in Leucogenes grandiceps and Raoulia hectori. Both sown on 20.11.18. Source of supply is the NZAGS.

I am very happy about this partial success... :D

Great to see your success Thomas . :o ;D
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Leucogenes

« Reply #533 on: May 10, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »
Great to see your success Thomas . :o ;D

Sorry for the late answer... Dave... and thank you very much.
The one you identified in # 471 as Celmisia angustifolia is also in flower. But all existing flowers never open...just like Celmisia allanii.
Nevertheless I am overjoyed about these two species. 😎

Cheers
Thomas 

Leucogenes

« Reply #534 on: May 18, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »
Phyllocladus aspenifolius var. alpinus belongs to the conifers...but has no needles. I took this picture yesterday with my friends from the Arctic Alpine Garden in Chemnitz. It grows very slowly in "captivity". This already very old specimen (male) currently shows its beautiful tiny cones.

Leucogenes

« Reply #535 on: May 18, 2019, 10:25:18 PM »
It was with great pleasure that I noticed a few days ago that a specimen of Gentianella corymbifera (sown on 10.03.17) awakened to new life. Yay

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #536 on: May 19, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »
Thomas, I think you're going to be very proud of me ;D  Here is my Leucogenes grandiceps a little plant I obtained earlier this year from Aberconwy Nursery. The mystery is "will it still be here next year?"

645484-0

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Leucogenes

« Reply #537 on: May 19, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
Hello David

I'm not only proud of you...but also very grateful for the great picture. This plant seems to feel very comfortable with you. If you have chosen a half-shady place for it, you will also have your joy in it next year.

I am very happy that you thought of me and that you show this jewel here. We Blues fans have to stick together ! 😎😎

Oh yes...Aberconwy Nursery ... every spring I see the catalogue and would like to throw myself from the roof of our house...a little joke. The fact that we can't order anything from here is a bit frustrating. But I hope that in two years I will get my chance at the international meeting. 🤞

Cheers
Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #538 on: May 20, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »
David...  I have just analyzed the photo of one of my copies...  I think I see some thickening at the end of some shoots.  So I can hope for some flowers as well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #539 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »
Yes, I hope so Thomas. By the way to set the record straight I'm not a Man. City supporter. My team is Huddersfield Town (blue and white stripes) and just recently relegated from the Premier League although I don't get to see them these days. Some would say for the best! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal