We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 134174 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #465 on: June 03, 2018, 09:06:25 PM »
Hello Thomas

Yes all well here thanks .Been very busy finishing off work for clients before winter bites which it has this week with heavy frosts and cold daytime temps ....... :o

Here's a couple more images  ;D

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

The scaling ? where the hairs grow ,(sorry i don't know the correct botanical description) on the leaves in your closeup photograph convinces me that you have the 'real deal'.   :P.

Cheers Dave.

That's fantastic news for me... Dave. I have a smile on my face all day long about it. 😊

Animated by the confirmation I immediately decided to plant the young plants in special high pots. The roots were very long. I have noticed that I have a steady hand in this delicate matter today. So I potted some more botanical treasures.

Thanks again for the beautiful pictures and explanations.

cheers
Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #466 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »
Two years ago I lost Carmichaelia corrugata...Now I have three new young plants. 😆

Leucogenes

« Reply #467 on: June 30, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »
I find the appearance of Carex berggrenii and Carex petriei particularly beautiful. It looks partly necrotic...I find that quite appealing. This year there are many seeds... ;D

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #468 on: July 06, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
I find the appearance of Carex berggrenii and Carex petriei particularly beautiful. It looks partly necrotic...I find that quite appealing. This year there are many seeds... ;D

Lovely to see you are growing  Carex petriei Thomas.

In the wild it is a most attractive smaller growing sedge .Here's a couple of images from Northern Southland where I located it in a sunny damp position near the edge of a tarn in the company of Viola cunninghamii and the equally attractive Rumex flexuosus ,(NZ Dock).

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Leucogenes

« Reply #469 on: July 21, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
Hi Dave and David

today I show you some new additions, which I got from Alasdair (Ardfearn Nursery).

The first picture shows a fantastic Celmisia semicordata. She is completely white and very hairy. An absolute dream. The plant comes from Alasdair's father's garden. What a great honor for me.

The next two photos show two Celmisias I need your help with. Names are missing. They could also be hybrids. Maybe you can identify them.

To create a worthy background for the last photo, I took off my T-shirt at short notice...I  do what i can.  ;D ;D ;D

Thomas

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:10:47 PM by Leucogenes »

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #470 on: July 22, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
Hello Thomas
Your Celmisia semicordata is lovely .The silver foliated forms of ssps stricta I generally see in the wild in Northern Southland aren't as hairy as your plant.They can over time become large clumps as found on Mt Bee ,Northern Southland .....The woolly flower as it develops belongs in an alien movie ....  ;D

620619-0

Sorry Thomas I've had to moderate my post as the system won't allow me to load another image... ::)

Cheers Dave.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:22:50 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #471 on: July 22, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »
Hello Thomas

Your first unknown Celmisia is C.angustifolia where on Mt Dobson ,South Canterbury various coloured leaf forms can be found growing in mass.

620623-0

620625-1

I think your last unknown Celmisia is either C.discolor or C.allanii .

I'll not make any comment on your choice of T.shirt /underer  :o ;)

Cheers Dave.

Leucogenes

« Reply #472 on: July 22, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »
Hi Dave

Thank you for the fantastic pictures and the helpful identification.

The photos of the Celmisia semicordata are breathtaking. Especially the half open flower is fabulous. The brown down and the white interior form a beautiful combination.

I think the fact that I photographed yesterday without a T-shirt belongs more in a horror film. 😂😂

There's a third Celmisia for identification. I forgot to take a detailed photo yesterday. I'll pass it along tonight.

I hope I can keep these botanical treasures alive. Perhaps you have heard of this year's heat and drought in the north. In some regions it is the driest year since the beginning of weather data records. I've already suffered some painful losses...so wish me luck.

cheers
Thomas

ruweiss

« Reply #473 on: July 22, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »
Thomas, you are a very lucky boy, these plants are practically not available in our country
by the nursery trade. I tried several times to raise Celmisias and other gems from NZ from
seeds, but the hot and dry weather (besides my lack of experience) stopped further succes.
Good luck with these goodies!
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Leucogenes

« Reply #474 on: July 22, 2018, 08:25:13 PM »
...here is the third Celmisia that Alasdair gave me. Maybe you can identify her. When editing the photo, I noticed the tiny points on the edges of the leaves...perhaps this is characteristic of a certain species?

cheers
Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #475 on: July 22, 2018, 08:48:25 PM »
Thomas, you are a very lucky boy, these plants are practically not available in our country
by the nursery trade. I tried several times to raise Celmisias and other gems from NZ from
seeds, but the hot and dry weather (besides my lack of experience) stopped further succes.
Good luck with these goodies!

Hi Rudi

I'm very glad we have the same passion. It's almost impossible to get such botanical jewels. I am grateful for every donation.  I have to admit that my previous attempts to cultivate some native NZ from seed have been unsuccessful. But I'll keep trying.

The breathtaking photos of David and Dave encourage me again and again. Even if it is not very easy at the moment...the current weather is sub-optimal.

If I can come to the meeting in Tübingen this autumn, I will try to introduce myself to you personally.

regards
Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #476 on: August 25, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »
Today I went to a plant market in Erfurt. I was able to buy some interesting things again.

My friends from the Arctic - Alpine - Garden were also there. You have succeeded in reproducing a particularly small clone of Leucopogon fraseri. It was collected by a friend in the area of Mt. Peel. It differs clearly in its form of growth. All parts are much smaller and more compact than with the plants of this kind known to me.

I really like this species and I am very happy about this tiny one, which is only a few centimetres high.

Cheers
Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #477 on: September 09, 2018, 12:23:58 PM »
Autumn 2018... ;D

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #478 on: September 09, 2018, 03:09:33 PM »
Thomas, do you grow Pernettya mucronata? It's slightly larger and is a typical forest underground species particularly found in very cold positions, where large vertical cliffs generate cold pockets in valley bottoms. It grows in southern exposure in clearings next to dense and dark  Nothofagus dombeyii forests. It is found associated with Empetrum rubrum and the fern Blechnum penna marina.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:31:38 PM by hamparstum »
Arturo Tarak

Leucogenes

« Reply #479 on: September 09, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
Thomas, do you grow Pernettya mucronata? It's slightly larger and is a typical forest underground species particularly found in very cold positions, where large vertical cliffs generate cold pockets in valley bottoms. It grows in southern exposure in clearings next to dense and dark  Nothofagus dombeyii forests. It is found associated with Empetrum rubrum and the fern Blechnum penna marina.

Hello Arturo

I don't have Pernettya mucronata in my little collection. So far the size of the plant has deterred me. I prefer the small plants.

But maybe I have more space after the demolition and renovation of the Alpinum. Today I started with it.

I currently have four different Gaultheria species...3 from New Zealand and one from the Himalayas. I find the Ericaceae family generally very interesting. Most of them look very attractive all year round.

I also like Empetrum. In the appendix you can see a representative...Empetrum eamesii from Newfoundland.

...I'll get back to you in the coming week. It is already again much too long ago. 😊

Thomas

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal