We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 134212 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #435 on: April 18, 2018, 12:25:30 PM »
Hi David,
a botanical calendar? Can you post a link to where it can be bought or is it only sold locally?
When will the next calendar be produced?
cheers
fermi
Hi Fermi,

The 2019 calendar will be available about September. Link to the Botanical Society of Otago website is https://www.otago.ac.nz/botany/bso/ Price is $NZ 20.00 + postage.  Overseas postage adds a significant amount to the initial price as it does not qualify for letter rate.

It is a high quality product and compares very favourably with anything that is available commercially. Our compiler has a very good eye for images and our contributors are very accomplished photographers.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:51:53 PM by David Lyttle »
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #436 on: April 18, 2018, 12:33:58 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Here is an image of mine that was selected for August 2015. I thought in view of you efforts in cultivating Veronica densifolia you might like to see it.

The printed version looks a lot better than it does here. The 200 kb size limit on the Forum  means that a lot of resolution and detail of the original images has been sacrificed in the resizing process.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:50:52 PM by David Lyttle »
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #437 on: April 18, 2018, 02:26:15 PM »
Hi David

Thank you very much for this wonderful photography. I think I saw a similar recording of V. densifolia last year. Even then I noticed the completely different color of the leaves. My specimens are coloured in a strong green. Your picture shows some brownish foliage. I read somewhere once that this great plant is also found in the southeast of Australia. Is that true?

I love the structure of the leaves especially...and the situation just before the flowers open... In the photo a copy outside... (Alpinum)

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #438 on: April 18, 2018, 10:15:20 PM »
Hello Thomas,

There is a wide range of variation in V. densifolia in the wild. Usually it forms rather loose mats but can form cushions at times. The leaves may be entire or sometimes three-lobed.  You are correct; it is also found in Australia. Here is a photo of a green form; no flowers this time.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #439 on: April 19, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
Hi David

I'm not 100% sure...but I think I remember that my V. densifolia clones are originally from Australia. Personally, I like the red-brown variety with the open growth of your photograph best.

The shape of the foliage is wonderful in all variants shown.

I will try to get a copy of the next calendar from the BSO.

Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #440 on: April 20, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »
Hi David

As it is much too warm for the time of year, nature is making great progress. That's why Myosotis glabrescens is a little early. But it looks promising. So it could work this year with seeds for you.

I am particularly happy about the third photo...to my great joy Gentianella corymbifera germinates. I got the seeds from Philippe from  France.

Best regards
Thomas

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:57:38 PM by Leucogenes »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #441 on: April 21, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »

Last weekend I went on a trip to the Rock and Pillar Range inland and to the north west of Dunedin. I was conducting a workshop on photographing alpine plants. The day was clear with a southerly wind and bitterly cold. However we found a sheltered spot and went ahead anyway. At this stage of the year there is not much in flower but still plenty of subjects to photograph.

More than beautiful mountains scenery, indescribable like Thomas says :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

kris

« Reply #442 on: April 22, 2018, 04:15:43 AM »
Thomas you are lucky to grow all these incredible New Zealand plants. They won't survive our winter. Geranium sessiliflorum is the only one I grow.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leucogenes

« Reply #443 on: April 22, 2018, 07:21:44 AM »
Hello Kris

Cultivating native NZ is not easy in my garden either. I have painful losses to report this winter too. Species such as Leucogenes neglecta, some of which are definitely unrecoverable, are also included. That's doubly painful. But I don't want to complain...the micro-climate in my garden gets most of the NZ pretty good.

It is much more difficult to obtain plants and seeds from this breathtaking region.  Squaring the circle is probably easier. But I will try to gather more species. Some Celmisias have been sown for a year...not yet germinated.
Wish me luck. 😊

Thomas

kris

« Reply #444 on: April 23, 2018, 12:02:47 AM »
wishing you all the luck in the world ;D
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #445 on: April 23, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »
Thomas you are lucky to grow all these incredible New Zealand plants. They won't survive our winter. Geranium sessiliflorum is the only one I grow.

I spent three years in Saskatoon; Not many NZ plants would survive -350C. I did not see many NZ plants during my time there though Cordyline australis was a popular patio plant. Unless brought indoors they would not survive the first frost. It was always nice to retreat to the Saskatoon Civic Conservatory in the middle of winter, a little bit of a haven in the middle of the city when everything was covered in snow and ice.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

kris

« Reply #446 on: April 24, 2018, 05:34:30 AM »
I spent three years in Saskatoon; Not many NZ plants would survive -350C. I did not see many NZ plants during my time there though Cordyline australis was a popular patio plant. Unless brought indoors they would not survive the first frost. It was always nice to retreat to the Saskatoon Civic Conservatory in the middle of winter, a little bit of a haven in the middle of the city when everything was covered in snow and ice.
Hi David it is nice to know that someone knows about the existence of Saskatoon in Canada.
When I moved here from USA 20 years ago I was amazed to find out that some Torontonians  did not know about this place.  ::)
Yes Saskatoon is really cold but I don't mind it . I am more concerned about the long winter. There are some amazing New Zealand plants but unfortunately  I can't grow them
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leucogenes

« Reply #447 on: April 28, 2018, 07:38:04 PM »
At the moment Drapetes dieffenbachii is blooming. I like this little delicate plant.

Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #448 on: May 09, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »
To my great surprise and joy, I discovered today the very first flowering approach at Aciphylla monroi. I've lost a lot of things... that makes up for something.

Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #449 on: May 19, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
I lost most of my Leucopogon fraseri stock in winter. The plants were at least 8 years old. But what is still there shows, as every year, these beautiful jug flowers. I like this form of growth very much.

Thomas

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal