We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 134559 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
You are quite right, Thomas, the wealth of information we can be given from our NZ members is a terrific resource.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
I have been able to have a little private boast to myself that I've a nice plant in flower of Aciphylla congesta, a male plant and since no lady is in the offing I'll not get any seed but as I grew the plant from seed, I'm quite pleased with myself. The seed was from OAGG's seed list when we had a native section, and may well have been from David L himself. I think it was about 10 years ago or perhaps a bit less. Unfortunately I have no available picture but did show it over a couple of weeks on Facebook (sorry Maggi) so the proof is there. It started like a whitish blob in the centre of the rosette, gradually enlarging to look like a small head of cauliflower until finally opening wide like the fully extended flower of a carrot or parsnip - not surprisingly. I've cut off the flower stem now in hope this will encourage one or more rosettes to grow.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2017, 12:06:11 AM »
I have been able to have a little private boast to myself that I've a nice plant in flower of Aciphylla congesta, a male plant and since no lady is in the offing I'll not get any seed but as I grew the plant from seed, I'm quite pleased with myself. The seed was from OAGG's seed list when we had a native section, and may well have been from David L himself. I think it was about 10 years ago or perhaps a bit less. Unfortunately I have no available picture but did show it over a couple of weeks on Facebook (sorry Maggi) so the proof is there. It started like a whitish blob in the centre of the rosette, gradually enlarging to look like a small head of cauliflower until finally opening wide like the fully extended flower of a carrot or parsnip - not surprisingly. I've cut off the flower stem now in hope this will encourage one or more rosettes to grow.

Lesley
Hope you don't mind ---I downloaded your FB photo and have posted it here.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #243 on: October 23, 2017, 12:28:33 AM »
Thanks Jan ,Thomas and Gerrit on your kind comments regarding my Raoulia haastii photo.

I do not have any Raoulia haastii pictures to post so I will post this instead; Anisotome pilifera just beginning to flower in my garden.

Very nice David.

Thomas

The NZ brooms are such a wonderful genera ranging from trees to prostrate species.Our local municipal park has some beautiful tree like ,weeping specimens however in our current garden we don't have room for the larger ones so I have to be content with plants such as this purchase last year.
Even though a number flower sparsely here in our shady conditions I wouldn't be without their yummy foliated forms . :P

Rightio enough from me ,the weather has cleared so I'm away down the coast trying to locate native orchids which i understand are just coming into flower .

Cheers Dave.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:01:06 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #244 on: October 23, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »
Hello, David, Hello, Dave.

I got the last week fresh seeds of Carmichaelia rivularis. However, I find no further information about this kind on the Internet. I would become me very much about infos and pictures of C. rivularis are glad. There is with the type Carmichaela also very big kinds. Therefore, would become me particularly the maximum size of C. rivularis interest. Since, unfortunately, I do not have endlessly a lot of place. 😊

many thanks and the best greetings...
Thomas

Hello Thomas,

As Maggi suggested the name should be Carmichaelia rivulata. It is now no longer considered a species but is a form of Carmichaelia australis. The description of C. rivulata is " Shrub up to 1m tall, branchlets spreading, stiff 2-3mm wide " So it is a shrub and not one of the more desirable dwarf Carmichaelia species. I have several dwarf Carmichaelia species growing in pots; C.nana, C. corrugata, C. astonii, C. monroi and C. vexillata. I have just purchased the same hybrid as Dave has shown in his most recent post. I am not sure if it will be a good plant or an untidy mass of sticks. All the dwarf Carmichaelias are lovely plants and grow and flower well in pots.  I will post a few pictures later.

David
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #245 on: October 23, 2017, 11:30:38 AM »
 One calls this probably telepathy, Dave. ;D Yesterday I was sad the first one sometimes that I am no member in Facebook (... and this also remains thus). And shortly after you put the picture of Lesley purely. Perfectly. Thank you very much.

Lesley... I can congratulate you on this wonderful A. congesta. A dream. She belongs to my favorites. I have sowed seed two years ago. If after this winter no germination occurs, I give up hope. Over again my admiration to this completely symmetrical beauty.

Thomas
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:45:13 PM by Leucogenes »

Leucogenes

« Reply #246 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »
Dave...

The hybrid looks very nice. However, she reminds me more of C. corrugata. I already had both kinds. Unfortunately, they all have died. I am very unhappy about that. 😣 My Carmichaelia ensii (C. nana) it looked absolutely different. The foliage was shorter and broader. But I like your plant really very well. I like these small plants particularly.

From the Gentiana in the left side you could have pointed more. 😆😆

Greetings Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
Hello David ... I meant exactly this. One gets such good information only with you. should Thank you very much. Give the seeds I will germinate to the plant enough place. The small kinds in your collection are exactly my favorites. Not to agree, unfortunately, here. Therefore, you would give to me a big pleasure if you show the photos. Many thanks beforehand. 😉

Thomas

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2017, 11:45:19 PM »
Thank you Dave. Far from minding I am delighted that you downloaded etc. How did you do that?Maybe we can have a meaningful discussion about this on Friday/Saturday/Sunday?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:46:58 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #249 on: October 24, 2017, 06:44:47 AM »
Dave...

The hybrid looks very nice. However, she reminds me more of C. corrugata. I already had both kinds. Unfortunately, they all have died. I am very unhappy about that. 😣 My Carmichaelia ensii (C. nana) it looked absolutely different. The foliage was shorter and broader. But I like your plant really very well. I like these small plants particularly. 

Greetings Thomas

Yes C. nana looks different Thomas.I would have thought that the branches were too narrow to be C.corrugata .... :-\

Hopefully it will be a good plant and not an untidy mass of sticks as David has mentioned previously and not spread too wide , like say C. appressa..... :-\
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:49:14 AM by t00lie »

Leucogenes

« Reply #250 on: October 28, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »
Dave...you are right. Here a photo of my Carmichaela corrugata. I think the foliage with your very interesting hybrid is some narrow one. The second picture shows C. enysii (nana)..., unfortunately, are dead both. 😭😭

David... I have read your list over again. Up to now Carmichaelia astonii and Carmichaela vexillata I did not know yet. The pictures on the Internet are promising. I like particularly the small kinds with relatively wide foliage. I am stretched very much on the photos by your plants. Carmichaelia vexillata I find especially nicely.

Thomas
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:59:30 AM by Leucogenes »

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »
In four different places in my garden I have Raoulia australis.
Photo 1 and 2 have the same color, green / gray.
Photo 3 and 4 are both gray.
They come all four of different suppliers.
Can this color differ, or we talk about different plants. The rosettes are the same. The green / gray are a bit smaller.
Can Dave or Thomas say something about it.

593524-0

593526-1

593528-2

593530-3
You are never to old to learn.

Leucogenes

« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »
The first both pictures point Raoulia lutescens. Both last photos would have to be Raoulia australis. Also with me the R. australis something vary in the appearance. There are presumably some subspecies? I think David and Dave more in addition can say. Your R. lutescens looks very good.
My congratulation.

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2017, 10:59:30 AM »
Hello Jan,

Your first picture is of Raoulia australis; note the tight cushion form. Your second picture perhaps is not. There is a Raoulia similar to R. australis but it forms a mat rather than a tight cushion. The final two are not Raoulia australis they are perhaps forms of Raoulia hookeri or R. beauverdii. There are a few problems with Raoulia taxonomy and I would need to see the flowers and perhaps get information on the original collection locations to sort them out for you
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »
Thank you David and Thomas,
Picture 1 is from spring 2014 and picture 2 of spring 2015.
Both have flourished, with ocher yellow flowers.
Photo 3 and 4 are scheduled this spring and have not bloomed yet.
If the last two bloom, I will return with that.

This picture of  my Raoulia hookeri same color but larger rosettes (picture 1-2) Picture 3 the 'australis' rosettes.

593532-0

593534-1

593536-2
You are never to old to learn.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal