We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 132412 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2017, 09:55:58 PM »
David,
I need your help again ... sorry  ;). I have a Raoulia which I received as R. tenuicaulis (Fig. 1 & 2). She looks completely different from my other R. tenuicaulis. (Bild 3) ... can you help?

Thank you
Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »
Here a photo of Leucogenes grandiceps ... definitely the highlight in my little New Zealand this year. This plant has three flowers ... in another I have counted thirteen buds. But this still lasts a bit. More pictures will follow.

Leucogenes

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
An attempt directly on stone ... Leucogenes tarahaoa and Veronica densifolia. Let's see how it develops.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »
Interesting.  Do the roots have access to cool crevices in the rock, in order to withstand summer heat?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2017, 05:29:25 AM »
David,
I need your help again ... sorry  ;). I have a Raoulia which I received as R. tenuicaulis (Fig. 1 & 2). She looks completely different from my other R. tenuicaulis. (Bild 3) ... can you help?

Thank you
Thomas

Hello Thomas, I think your plant is Raoulia tenuicaulis but the cushion seems very loose for this species. It is variable in the wild as you can see from the following photos;

David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2017, 07:38:42 AM »
Interesting.  Do the roots have access to cool crevices in the rock, in order to withstand summer heat?

An important aspect, Ashley. In it I had not thought at all. But the roots go by the stone till the earth. And this area has light shade from midday. I will see whether it functioned. It is only one experiment... I hardly have place.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »
Best wishes for your experiment Thomas.  I don't know where in Germany you are gardening, but presume it's relatively low altitude and a continental rather than maritime climate.  Therefore it's very interesting to see how NZ alpines perform under those conditions.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Leucogenes

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
Best wishes for your experiment Thomas.  I don't know where in Germany you are gardening, but presume it's relatively low altitude and a continental rather than maritime climate.  Therefore it's very interesting to see how NZ alpines perform under those conditions.

My garden lies in 450 metres about the sea level. So not very high. On the north side of the Erzgebirge. Thereby we have regular precipitation. In my garden is a little bit humid micro-climate. The location for the alpine NZ is shaded from midday by a big tree. It functions quite well. I pour only on the week-end. Of course there are also losses... In last winter I have lost almost everybody of few Celmisia. But today I got a new one. Today I have birthday and my brother procured for me a Celmisia spectabilis ssp. magnifica and one more copy of L. grandiceps. I have been glad very much about it.

Thomas
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:36:13 PM by Leucogenes »

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2017, 10:03:46 PM »
Thomas, you're lucky! There's nowhere around here I can 'procure' choice alpines like those. I'm on my own growing from seed! I have sown L. grandiceps seed this winter, seed given to me by Hamish Brown in NZ. I hope it grows. Do you have any pictures of just germinated seedlings so I know what to look out for?
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Leucogenes

« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:03 AM »
Hello, Jamus,

my 6 copies of Leucogenes grandiceps I got everybody of my friends from the Arctic alpine garden in Chemnitz. Officially none is sold. A privilege such valuables is to be owned. They increase Leucogenes only by cuttings... Because her plants have never blossomed. With me there blossom this year 2 plants ;D ;D... after five years wait. The increase of Leucogenes by seed is a complete luck thing. Also with L. leontopoides it does not function with me. Till present also Philippe still achieved no success. Cuttings are better. But maybe you have luck and it functions with you... the mothers plant of my friends it was pulled by seed of her excursion in 2000. The seeds must be fresh. But I also try it of course. I have dusted 3 blossoms during the last 4 days daily. Tonight Australia plays football... against Germany the better one may win. ;)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »
An attempt directly on stone ... Leucogenes tarahaoa and Veronica densifolia. Let's see how it develops.

Hello Thomas
I hope it develops well for you.

I also like to experiment ...... ;D

Celmisia sessiliflora hybrid seedlings I planted out about 6 months ago in a remodeled concrete wash tub continue to put on good growth .Not quite planted on rock.... rather in a tight crevice with concrete gravel /pumice mix as the planting medium.

582469-0

Celmisia sessiliflora hybrid established in a sand bed that needs the moss removed again and topped up.

582471-1

Cheers Dave
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
Also in the mossy sand bed Aciphylla simplex .....

582473-0

In a new sand bed finished about 3 months ago ,Aciphylla aurea seedling which will get too large for this area when mature.

582475-1

582477-2

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Leucogenes

« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
Hello Dave,

I am very much enthusiastically from the Celmisia sessiliflora hybrid ones. I suppose there a large part of Celmisia spedenii is present. I find them very nice. Where do you have this interesting plant here? And the Aciphylla simplex is for me the most attractive Aciphylla. I still lack it in my small collection  ;D. I achieved no success with the seeds. Have you moved from seed or does one get with you something like that as a plant to shop?

Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
... or it is a hybrid of Celmisia sessiliflora x Celmisia gracilenta. In any case, she looks very interesting. Maybe David can say a little bit in addition.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2017, 01:20:21 AM »
Hello Thomas

I'm awaiting flowering of the seedling Celmisia sessiliflora hybrid before trying to work out what the other parent maybe. The pinkish tones on the basal leaves I find interesting.

As for the established Celmisia sessiliflora hybrid, it may have some C.gracilenta blood however it has never flowered here so again I'm unsure....

My observations are that if you find a patch of C.sessiliflora in the wild and there are other C. sps nearby there is a high probability of finding hybrids.

Celmisia spedenii is only found in a small geographical area in Northern Southland in a different part of the province to where I found the plants above.

Hokonui Alpines list a few NZ alpines however they don't ship overseas.A quick look at their website and it appears they no longer have a seed list....

Cheers Dave.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:58:29 AM by t00lie »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal