We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Which are the easiest alpines grown by seed?  (Read 4405 times)

newstart

Which are the easiest alpines grown by seed?
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
I must confess I am very much more of a 'cuttings' person with alpines as some may have noticed who have helped me.

I am now looking for some easy alpine seeds to grow to build confidence in this area. Which are the 'very easy' nice ones in people opinion. It would be good to sow some now if possible.

Also can you advise me on the ones easily getable from the high street as I don't drive.

Eg dobbes , suttons , fothergills , thomson and morgen

It might be on the packet itself saying that they are easy hopefully as that would be a good guide when it comes to doing things from seed. Do they normally say. As you can see I don't even look at seed packets. Sad I know!

Just to add I am not looking for 'true alpines' only and would be okay with small plants that are often grown as an alpine in a geneal gardeners mind. Hopefully that will expand things alot more for me.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:38:45 PM by newstart »
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Which are the easiest alpines grown by seed?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »
David, when I am on the stand at Gardening Scotland one of the most frequent requests made to the person selling seeds is “pick me some easy ones, please”. To help myself this year I made out a crib sheet based on what is likely to be in the trays. Here are some of the genus that I have selected. Some species within the genus are likely to be very difficult, I know that, but those that you see displayed in the Garden Centres should be the easy ones. Read the packets, particularly to find the size of the plant. My selection includes:
Allium; Alyssum; Aquilegia; Arabis; Arenaria; Campanulas; Dianthus; Draba; Erinus; Geranium; Geum; Gypsophila; Hypericum; Lathyrus; Lychinis; Mysotis; Penstemon; Thlaspi; Viola.
Some of the species of these even I would find easy, others difficult. See what you can find and enjoy yourself growing them.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Some great suggestions there, David..... I'd add Iberis, Helianthemum, Aubrieta....

Here are links to some of the seed suppliers pages ..... Chilterns have the widest selections...

http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/list.php?type=category&value=rock_garden

http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/list.php?type=category&value=alpines

http://seeds.suttons.co.uk/search?w=rock+garden&asug=&x=10&y=13

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:54:01 PM »
I'm always intrigued what the SRGC Seed ex "easy ten" consists of.
David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Hi, you could always try www.jelitto.com  they have quite a few alpines in their range and also do gold nugget seed which is treated so that it germinates straight away.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
Good suggestion, Susan... and their site has lots  of sowing/germination info, too.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

newstart

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
As always great advice !

Thanks I will look at it all when I get some time. I thought it was a bit of a dim wit question actually. Thanks for not seeing it that way.

Much appreciated. Speak soon.

David.

newstart

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:35:07 PM »
Chiltern looks paritcually good. How long do the common types like David mentioned take to germinate. I know some take a long long time depending on conditions being absolutely right. At a guess for the list above (Allium; Alyssum; Aquilegia; Arabis; Arenaria; Campanulas; Dianthus; Draba; Erinus; Geranium; Geum; Gypsophila; Hypericum; Lathyrus; Lychinis; Mysotis; Penstemon; Thlaspi; Viola.) it would take about 4 weeks to be big enough to pot up maybe?

Would they be okay going into a 9cm pot afterwards or would a 7cm pot be better.

It all getting more interesting by the minute. Thanks folks.

David.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »
Hi David,
I allow roughly 6 wks before pricking out for fast germinating species into plugs and another 6 wks before potting up or planting out. This is a very rough guide as every species is different but it gives me a guide to how much work is coming up. It is best to start in January to get them planted before the heat of the summer otherwise you will spend a lot of time watering small seedlings. As a guide the Mecs and Primulas that I sowed in Jan are now pricked out into plugs.
Hope this helps, no doubt there will be many other suggestions. Pick and choose amongst everyones ideas.

Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

newstart

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »
Thanks Susan thats a useful indicator. Much appreciated .

newstart

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 02:50:27 PM »
Hi susan can I ask another question ( or anyone). Will a potted up plug be okay outside from end of March and not go scruffy lookingwhen kept in a 9cm pot. I say this because I am assuming a cold greenhouse it better than plants being exposed to all the elements in there early stages. I can give you a list of Genus's to ask the question soon. They would be the common garden centre types. If I have less space are they going to be tarnished if left outside to root in there small pots. If I put them outside for a two month period only would that be okay as they root better. Also I am using a john innes 2 mix with correct fertiliser base amounts and 50% grit. This might influence the answer. I have less space in my greenhouse hence the question.

thanks!

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
How long do the common types like David mentioned take to germinate. I know some take a long long time depending on conditions being absolutely right. At a guess for the list above (Allium; Alyssum; Aquilegia; Arabis; Arenaria; Campanulas; Dianthus; Draba; Erinus; Geranium; Geum; Gypsophila; Hypericum; Lathyrus; Lychinis; Mysotis; Penstemon; Thlaspi; Viola.) it would take about 4 weeks to be big enough to pot up maybe?

Some observations/findings that may be helpful...
Stratification: Allium and Penstemon - usually required; Aquilegia and Campanula - often; Viola - stratification or GA-3; some Dianthus
Easy, warm:  Arabis, Arenaria, Alyssum, Draba
Scarify, then easy/warm:  Lathyrus and most other Fabaceae
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal