We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tulipomania nouveau?  (Read 10623 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Tulipomania nouveau?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »
My seeds were bought for US$2-3 each; they gave very good results.
Now that's more my kind of price. Looks very desirable!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Folypeelarks

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »
I have not enough time to read the whole topic but if You find a good offer - buy the seeds!The Worsleya is unique plant!In the beginning of this year I bought two seeds from ebay..The offer is not still active.It's the largest member of Amaryllidaceae and has spectacular blooms!
The species is not so difficult for growing.I sowed the seeds in pumice on February 2nd and they germinated on February 28th.

The plant is hardier than I thought.
The two plants are still under nylon in an environment with high moisture.I water them every day.I pass one watering between two weeks.I fertilize sometimes because of the poorness of the pumice with low concentration of different fertilizers.

If someone have enough patience I'll pollinate the two flowers when They reach blooming age.I hope They'll produce seeds.But It will happen after many years because the plants are very young...

Good luck!

P.S. Now I search for plants such as Paramongaia, Griffinia, Gethyllis and other Amaryllidaceae members...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:09:38 AM by Folypeelarks »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
And with Worsleya always remember... drainage, drainage, drainage!!  If you know someone with a big enough plant you can get an offset, but the offsets apparently need to be very large before they will have roots, so if anyone is trying to take an offset off, make sure you check there are roots under there first before severing it.  :o  I have a small plant which was given to me earlier this year.  It was an offset from an established clump (I nearly died when the friend of mine mentioned that he had 6 flowering sized plants, most with offsets!).  A VERY nice friend this gentleman is!!  For his efforts I gave him one of my Amorphophallus titanum, which once it's leaf expanded in his greenhouse was about 5 foot wide and close to 5 foot tall.  Well and truly worth it to me as I SO want to flower a Worsleya.  Will take a few years yet, but one can but hope!  ;D  Good luck!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Folypeelarks

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »
And with Worsleya always remember... drainage, drainage, drainage!! 

Yes, It's very important!If small quantity of unwanted water stays in the pot the treat of decaying is larger.
Also some people sows the seeds in sphagnum but I think the pumice or similar substratum is better idea for the same reason.The unwanted water drains away.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »
I had it suggested to me (and this is what I have planted it in) that a mix of half and half orchid bark and large scoria (or some sort of rough stones).  Perfect drainage, but still has enough surfaces to hold moisture readily enough without staying wet.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal