We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: GA3  (Read 1839 times)

don

GA3
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:55:14 AM »
Hello All
First time on forum. My question is using GA3 on fine seed. I have used GA3 for years with great results but I cant figure a way to use it on fine seed that will work for me. I generaly soak a paper towel and put seed on it and place in a plastic ziplock. Obviusly fine seed will not come off the paper towel. I have also just misted the sown seed in a pot with no results. Any Ideas?

Don LaFond Mi USA
5F  10" snow on the ground

ian mcdonald

Re: GA3
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
Hello Don and welcome. I also tried the Norman Deno method of seed germination in 2017 following years of poor germination results. I found that his method is probably best if used under laboratory conditions as he did. My results in 2017 were not as good as pot sown seed. Also, wind borne fungus spores were germinated on the damp towel. This year I am putting the seed in the fridge until the warmer weather comes and I will surface sow the seed into pots of compost to see if that improves germination.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:25:56 PM »
Hello All
First time on forum. My question is using GA3 on fine seed. I have used GA3 for years with great results but I cant figure a way to use it on fine seed that will work for me. I generaly soak a paper towel and put seed on it and place in a plastic ziplock. Obviusly fine seed will not come off the paper towel. I have also just misted the sown seed in a pot with no results. Any Ideas?

Don LaFond Mi USA
5F  10" snow on the ground

Welcome to the forum Don.
This is my method for fine seeds + GA3 and works very well:  place the seeds with the GA3 solution in small containers (bottle caps, painter's holders...); I usually sow the next day.
Have the pots prepared; using a basic pipette collect from the content of the container and dispense on top of the mix; repeat few times; add water in the container and continue to dispense the content until all fine seeds are washed out. Use as much water as necessary.
Finally, place the pots in a pan with water to allow full imbibition of the mix. Of course, top up the pots with fine grit/vermiculite,....

*I should mention - use a pipette with a somewhat fine tip, this way you get a better distribution of the seeds.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:28:59 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

don

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:32:07 PM »
Thank you Gabriela, that is a very good process, I will try it
Don 

forest

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:28:27 PM »
Please tell me how to prepare a solution GIBBERELLIC ACID 3?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

GordonT

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:33 PM »

Also here: http://gardensnorth.com/About.Germination.asp#working
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:33:36 PM by GordonT »
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 01:43:47 AM »

Forest - there is something to learn from all the links provided.
But I think is also good that you understand the basics about the concentrations; you may buy different quantities of GA3 than those discussed or want to prepare other concentrations.
1 ppm = 1 mg GA3 /diluted in 1000 ml water (1 L)
100 ppm= 100 mg GA3/1000 ml water
250 ppm= 250 mg GA3/1000 ml water
1000 ppm = 1000 mg GA3 (1g)/ 1000 ml water

I am sure you get the idea. Now you can ‘play’ with the concentrations as you wish, as long as you use the same unit measure.
For example, this fall I bought 1g GA3 and decided I will use only 250 mg from it to prepare a 1000 ppm solution.
1000 ppm = 1000 mg GA3/1000 ml
1000 ppm = 250 mg GA3/ ?      (answer is 250 ml  :)

If you need, is best to prepare first the 1000 ppm solution, from which you can dilute any quantity by 2 and obtain a 500 ppm solution.
GA3 powder keeps better in the fridge than solutions, so don’t prepare too much solution (unless you run a plant nursery). I got good results with 2 years old solutions, by the third year they already have a reduced effect.
You only need to use few drops of alcohol and mildly warm water – agitate very well the bottle (while reading stuff here on the forum  ;)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 04:02:54 AM »
Instead of sucking up the seed with a pipette you could also use a syringe with the needle removed.  At least here in Oregon you can buy syringes over the counter without a prescription.  Might be easier to find than a pipette.

Don, what seed are you hitting with GA-3?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
For the tropical seeds collected in the wild I used Giberellic acid for many years.

First I used a digital spoon scale such as https://www.ebay.de/itm/Digital-Loffelwaage-Digitale-Spoon-Scale-Kuchenwaage-0-1g-Loffel-Waage-2686/273010769343?hash=item3f90b5bdbf:g:iR8AAOSwJtdaTi7j unfortunately I could not find a link to a british provider.
Second I got ethanol from the drug store - don't use methylated spirits, they content a poison that is not conducive to the new seeds. In the drug store I also got a brown bottle with a 100 ml graduation. You also need a small measure tube with which you can determine 10 ml - often these come together with liquid fertilizer, if not you buy one also.
I used to weight 200mg of the GA3 powder and filled it into the bottle. Then I added 10 ml ethanol and swivelled the mixture until the GA3 was completely in solution. Then I added destillated water up to the 100 ml mark and the solution wasready.

I used small pot (so as described before), usually the smallest pots from children's yoghurt, filled 1/2 cm of the solution into each pot (or until the seeds were covered if bigger) and a surface-big patch of kitchen paper on top so that the seeds could not go up to the surface.
601065-0

About 24 hours later the seeds where placed in a sterilized mixture of 2/3 potground and 1/3 fine minced lava.

The rest of the solution I used the water older seeds that had not yet germinated.

I hope my English is appropriate to explain this understandably.

Hannelore

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal